Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS Harshly Cleaned Policy

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

Thanks again for another Tuesday with us.

Would PCGS body bag a coin worth million of dollars if it were harshly cleaned, make some note on the holder, or just grade the coin in a net manner without marking the holder? I was just wondering if a coin worth in-the-millions gets the same BB if the coin is messed with or doctored as a low dollar coins.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    We do net grade Territorial gold, and have been doing so for 15 years. We do this because there are may worked on territorial coins and collectors need to be able to finish their collections without waiting decades for totally original coins in the cae of some of these issues.

I guess the same concept would apply to extreme rarities. For example, the unique 1870-S $3 is a worked on jewelry piece. i think we would want to grade that coin and would have to come up with a net grade. It is certainly a desireable piece as Harry Bass bought it out of the 1982 Eliasberg sale for $687,500...a huge price at the time.