Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Safety Deposit boxes

09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
After many years of collecting my collection has grown to the point where I needed to purchase a SDB.While putting my slabs in the box, I noticed that the boxes themselves are made out of plastic. My question is: are these boxes PVC free and safe for slabs?
thanks, Wayne

Comments

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I guess I'm dealing with an older bank. My boxes are the steel sliders with an extra padlock option hasp!
    I think I would check with another branch or bank.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    My coins will never go into a safety deposit box. I wouldn't be able to enjoy them like that. Your concern should be more with the environment in the bank than anything. Bank safety deposit boxes are temperature controlle mainly for documents. More humidity is used to keep the documents from drying out but humidity is a coin's worst enemy. I know of one friend who lost thousands of dollars, he opened his safety deposit box a few years later and many of the coins he put in there were damaged beyond repair. This was, of course, before these "air-tite" holders were around.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    And don't forget safety deposit boxes are not insured. mike
  • Options
    Yeah, But who can break into a safety deposit box??? image
  • Options
    Insurance for coins stored in safe deposit boxes is available at a discount through the ANA. I have 8 5x10x20 safe deposit boxes. One bank uses plastic, the other uses metal. I have them at two different banks. I use NGC plastic boxes with a row of 20, about 9 boxes will fit into one SFD. Thats about 180 coins per box or thereabouts. Ofcourse I mainly collect certified examples. My bank vaults are climate controled since the humidity is high in Florida. I would also recommend Intercept Shield boxes. Please pm me if you have further questions. Also , in certain circumstances, the IRS allowes the vault fees that the bank charges to be tax deductable if your IRS tax returns are stored in the vaults.

Brian.
  • Options
    I just had a transformer in a bank blow up last week (a very large transformer!) that was at basement level and the blast shattered windows three stories up. The resulting hot oil fire wasn't so damaging as the thick oily black smoke that permeated everything. Since I've been reading this forum, the safe-deposit thing was one of the things that I thought about after the fire was out. Too many variables it seems; when coins are with you or not!
    "Today is the youngest you will ever be"
  • Options
    Also consider asking if the bank uses ammonia based cleaners in the vault. Many banks feel that cleanliness is next to godliness without regards to the effect the ammonia fumes may have on the vault's contents.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Your coins are far safer in a SDB than in your home where 95% of structure fires occur. Also, bank vaults are almost never robbed.
  • Options
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    I guess the plastic sdb doesnt matter if your coins are in plastic anyway!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file