Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Favorite Baltimore purchase

Describe it, or show us a pictureimage I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours
The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Comments

• Options
    I would wait until its over before you make a thread about best purchases. Also many dealers and some collectors from the forum are still there and wont be able to respond until its over and they get back home. But I guess my favorite would have to be the 1913 liberty nickel and the type 3 1804 dollar. It set me back 4.05 mill but it was worth it. image
  • Options
    So far...nothing!

I placed about 25 bids and was blown out of the water on most. Many pieces going for 20%+ over recent prices of the last 12 months...and I collect in a "dead" area.

One thing I have learned is never to chase coins [or women]. By January FUN many of these same coins will be up for sale as the economic reality sinks in...or I will be selling my coins to cash out of this madness.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Klectorkid,
    Hopefully this will be around for the next few days. I blew through the pre-show and bought my coin. As you can expect, it pretty much blew my wad. Didn't really expect to find this particular one. I am now at a friends home on the bay. We are trapping crabs for a fresh dinner tomorrow, then I am on my way to Williamsburg Va for the Colonial Seminar put on by the ANA Sunday thru Wednesday.
    By the way nice purchase. I would have to save a lifetime to buy the coins you didimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KK gets a fairly generous allowance.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I did not go to the show itself but I got this $5 liberty by bidding in the B&M auction in Baltimore. I should have tried for the 1880 as well but I thought it would be too much money but it went pretty cheap. mike image
    • Options
      Four 1913 Liberty Nickel for the price nothing....

image I used my digital camera took a picture of it.
      New PGCS collector - still learning from all other fellow collectors.
    • Options
      WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
      Favorite purchase was a very tough 1936-D MS66 washington quarter. PCGS of course.
      HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
    • Options
      RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Like Mike/Darktone, I did not go to the show, but I also landed a $5 Liberty:

His is in a little better shape than mine, though. image
    • Options
      In my opinion, this was the best show that I have ever been to.

Here is what I purchased at the show:
      PCGS 1905 Liberty Nickel in MS64 (upgraded my MS63)
      2 PCGS Clad Quarters in MS66 (both were extras to my set, low pops at decent prices for trade/sale later)
      PCGS 1928p Peace Dollar in MS63 (a year/mm that I can't avoid, probably reaching have about 15 of them)

Here was my wish list that did not have ANY filled:
      PCGS 20th century Indian Head 1c in MS65 RD
      PCGS 20th century Barber 10c in MS65 blast white
      PCGS SLH T1 25c in MS64+ or in MS63FH blast white
      PCGS 1930p SLH T2 25c in MS64FH
      PCGS 20th century Morgan $1 (common date, 02o or 04o) in MS66 blast white

The above was not filled, mostly due to folks not having them in their show inventory. One or two dealers were asking too much for what they thought were undergraded coins (never heard that one before).

I was also surprized at how easy it was to sell coins there, without being "raped". The coins I sold (most were even at a profit for me):
      PCGS 1900 MS63 Liberty 5c
      PCGS 1902 MS64 Barber 10c
      NGC 1956 PF69 Wash 25c
      NGC 1884cc MS64 Morgan $1
      PCGS 1888s MS63 Morgan $1
      PCGS 1889s MS63 Morgan $1

What was surprizing to me is that this was the first show that I made more $ from selling than what I purchased (my first coin show surplus).

Finally, as noted with all shows in the past 5+ years, finding more than one or two circulation strike clad coins that I am interested in (Ikes & quarters non-statehood) was a difficult task once again. Let's see what happens in December.
      My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
    • Options
      LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
      1895 MS67R - Rick Snow
      1864 MS67 Copper-Al pattern - Rick Kay
      1864 L P66Cam Al pattern - Superior

Those were the major ones. Here's a link. Link to my purchases
      "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
    • Options
      See new signature coin. image
      Bill

09/07/2006
    • Options
      spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
      I was VERY lucky with my bid on two Jeffersons going as a set. Won the bid on a 1972 PR69DC AND a 1971 PR69DC---both PCGS. Got for about a third of list!!! As I was at work when it closed, I thought for sure I would be outbid. Nice surprise when I got home and found out I had won!!!image
      Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
    • Options
      keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
      i was quite surprised to find a copper version of the pictured Jefferson So-Called Dollar. it wasn't a coin i had on any kind of a hit-list, but when i found it i had to have it. i've only been home for about 25 minutes so i can't get a picture up yet. it's real pretty, though.

edited to add a picture.

al h.image

• Options
      Added a 1872-CC quarter and 1872 proof dollar. image

I was in sensory overload at the amount of things available that
      I was looking for. It was a wonderful show.

Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
    • Options
      I didn't go either....but along with you guys...I got a (sort-of) $5 lib from the B&M auction....actually...it's just a really cool love token.

Kyle
    • Options
      JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
      1917 SLQ T1, NGC MS64 FH. Blast white!
      1934D $5 SC, Wide 2 back, very Choice CU.
      Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
    • Options
      gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
      I managed to buy a toned 1880-CC with color about as good as it gets on a GSA. Bought it from a forum member!

GSAGUY

• Options
      JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
      That $5 SC should read a Wide 1 back star note. Sorry about that.
      Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file