Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Convention personal highlights

Well, I saw the set of 5 1913s, picked up a vwery nice 1854 1/2 cent BN in xf for my type set, saw some very nice dealers and saw some really obnoxious ones! My local dealer who was there helped me with my purchase (I'm nervous on coppers), but I cou;dn't help but feel that there is truly a limited number of pieces to pick from for my type collection.
I'm trying to find: a large size capped bust qtr in F-15 that doesn't cost vf-30
-seated liberty motto dollar in F-F-15 that's original or one that has retoned nicely and has eye appeal
-pleasing Oregon Trail in MS-63 without those bust the bank MS-65s
How did others do?
Kinda cool seeing a handful of 1916 slqs!!! But I could do w/o the TONS of LWHs So many! Great coin but I could have done with a few more of the above!
Eugene
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Would you go again?
  • Options
    yep, but I'd try to go 1st day for more choice. Something tells me if I'm patient on ebay something will come my way...
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Good things come to those who wait. Patience is a virture. Trust in this!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    boz said it best there. I've grabbed coins many times merely because they were the only ones available, only to find a better one come along the next week. Then again, it works both ways. If you find a great deal, you may kick yourself in the butt for it later if you didn't seize the opportunity.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    The ones I've grabbed in lieu of nothing better are usually a disappointment domn the road. Not always though, there are often exceptions.

The ones I waited on were much more satisfying, even at a higher price. The downside is, I'm still waiting for a few.

The best deals were where I stumbled into several high or even higher coins that what I had budgeted, I found a way to get the deal done at the expense of other things.

Shortly down the road, those high enders paid me back and then some for my trouble.

So, in short, it's bit of crap shoot. I don't think anyone makes the right decision everytime.

My only rule of thumb anymore is try to get the best quality availableafter it meets your original requierments, a few dollars more today, can bring many more in a short time.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file