Home U.S. Coin Forum

A tale of a little Girl and a Winged Liberty Jewel...

LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
I loved these Winged Libertys when I was 8 years old. I still do......... I remember daddy taking me to Jim Coad Rare coins when he was located on Central Ave.. And Daddy said to pick out a coin... I found the shiniest (shiny)(how do you spell this) Winged Liberty I saw... I remember my Eye balls popping out of my head..... This Dime was so Shiny.... I told my daddy, "El papá, por favor me compra que bastante uno. Es bonito." Which means, "Daddy, please buy me that pretty one.. It is pretty."..... English was not spoken in my home....
He bought it..... I kept this JEWEL in my dresser at home and looked at it for years..... This coin stayed brilliant and shiny all these years...
I recently submitted it.......

PCGs thought highly of this JEWEL.......... and they gave the HepKitty a MS67FB on this one...... I also remember telling my daddy Be Bop A Lula when he bought it for me.......... Hepcats, take your daughters with you when you go coin hunting.... Plant the seeds of this wonderful hobby, and when they see a shiny GEM, buy it!!!!!!

My 1938D MS67FB A Hepkitty Collection JEWEL!

by the way.... the Winged Liberty is my favorite coin.....
imageBe Bop A Lula!!
"Senorita HepKitty"
"I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The photos are not the greatest.... I really need a macro lens for my camera, in one of the obverse photos you can see die polish lines on this JEWEL....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • That's one you need to keep HepKitty. image

• I got rid of all my memory coins when I was young and foolish, I envy those who have not.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Beautiful coin Lucy!! I always took my kids places with me! Took my youngest to Wyoming in 1997 for an antelope hunt. She got a Boone and Crockett antelope. Six months later she was a contestant in the Miss Pennsylvania USA Pagent. Pretty girls can do whatever they want to.....Ken
    I love this hobby... As A little girl I had many passions in me..... Me Papa owned a bar and always played the 50s music in a jukebox.... I thought that was the music of my day...... I didn't know it was already old...... Also he had a 55 Ford and a 57 BelAir.... In the small village I grew up in, almost everyone had a classic car... Although to them it was the work horse as everybody was very poor... This little village was and still is, a step back into time...... because people their survive on limited means......

The things I collect today seem natural to me..... I remember daddy giving me Frankies from circulation.... I thought the Bell was so cool... and I loved this nice big coin...... However, I always bugged for nickels so I could play Elvis and Buddy Holly on the jukebox... I was a furious dancer..... I still am........

Cats, your children are the next generation collectors......... teach them... encourage them........I used to get exicited about many seated liberty coins I bought at the swap meet... I still have em..... they are really beat up... but I would hold them wondering who else held them and if a famous person spent them..... Thats what coin collecting is all about!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lucy,

Spoken like a true Mercateer!

regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Great looking coin, Lucy. image And an awesome story to share with us. Thanks for sharing that piece of history. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Lucy is my new hero. Mercuries are muy bonitos!!!

Brian
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I like the coin, I like the story even more... image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ditto image

Marc
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy, that is such a cool story. I hope that coin never leaves your family and I hope your story is passed down with it forever.

What a truly nice tale. I am grinning ear to ear after reading it!

Mark
    Mark

• Donde es el tecate?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gracias.

Es muy bien. (y diez centavos tambien)
    Tempus fugit.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hepcats, take your daughters with you when you go coin hunting.... Plant the seeds of this wonderful hobby, and when they see a shiny GEM, buy it!!!!!! >>

Excellent advice! I really enjoy reading posts like these. A little sunshine in the forums is always a welcomed surprise!

Great story Lucy! Thank you for sharing it!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• aknowaknow Posts: 115
    Great story Lucy, and a great coin too.
    I share my coins with my 2 year old daughter, and took my 11 year old daughter to her first coin show in Long Beach earlier this year. Sowing the seeds of love.
    Dr. Steve
    aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars
  • RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Great story Lucy. I got back into the hobby about 9 - 10 months ago when my 5 year old asked me about some wheat cents I gave him to put in his piggy bank. I am back with a passion and he is right there with me at local shops and shows.
    Brian
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    What a precious memory of such a great looking coin. Congrates on the grade.
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Great coin! Great Story! Looks like you were born to spot gems, Lucy. image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucille rocks
    Mucho gracias for the story,better than the coinimage.Al
  • Hey Lucy, my daughter now collect guys (With coins).....Kenimage
  • Lucy, That was a beautiful story!! Guess that's why you are so precious on the Forums!! Stay Sweet!! image
    Glenn
  • Wonderful coin and a wonderful story, Lucy!

I think my baby girl may be a collector - if you hand her a slabbed coin, getting it back is like trying to steal candy from a kid.

Either she's gonna be a collector or she has her momma genes - her momma believes that coins are meant to be spent!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Wow! That Merc is really nice with a super strike! It must be double special having had it for so long and purchased by your dad to boot.

Thanks for the neat story.
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Cool coins and an ultra cool chick. Great Story Lucy image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • I love that icon MrKelsko. image
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    love that story Lucy!
    ttt

for my precious daddy...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Lucy . . . . .

Every time you think of that coin or see it, your dad will be that much closer.

Drunner
  • The coin is a beauty. The story behind it is everlasting! Thanks Lucy for sharing.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Lucy....your stories will help you heal.....keep them coming.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Lucy, great memory. Thanks for sharing it with us. Please encourage others to share their passion and knowledge of coins with their families and the next generation. I've married into a family where the grandfather and great grandmother have collected coins. They have amassed thousands of coins and spent hundreds of hours with their collection. However they failed to pass on their joy. Now despite my encouragement the grandchildren want the collection sold. They have no interest in the coins other than what they are worth. It is a shame. So... Lucy, keep the great stories coming as they are quite inspirational.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Lucy!image
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Excellent! Do you have kids you've started in the hobby?
  • " I Love Lucy " Sanchez !

Lucy ! you got smoe splaining to do !

Nice coin and story,we all love the Kitty !
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very young daughter that I have already brought to a coin show and a few coin shops. At 18 months, she is interested in everything, which means I don't get to examine anything. Nonetheless, from this father's perspective, the greatest thing in the entire world is his one and only, his daughter. I guarantee you that the love and admiration you had for your dad was one hundred times greater in his heart for you. You are lucky that he let you know it! All dads can learn a lesson. Thank you.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy:

My mercury dimes salute your and your Dad's 1938-D mercury dime!

I suspect that your dime registry set will someday be called "El Papá's Collection."
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Lucy,

That is the best story I've read since I've been on the forums. My condolences to you and your familly.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool story Lucy and a great coin...

John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file