Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anybody know what this 1776 dated coin is?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

It's not silver. I'm pretty sure it's made out of pewter.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Another trip to the flea market???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    seen this one b4 ill look it up
  • Options
    That is a Continental Dollar. Many different varieties, hopefully a colonial expert will come along shortly.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    url
  • Options
  • Options
    From Doug Winter's website (article archives):

<<This is not a regular issue coin but, rather, a proposed or speculative issue. Varieties are known in silver, pewter and brass and with different spellings of the word CURRENCY. For this set, I would suggest a pewter piece with the spelling "CURENCY" and the lack of the designers initials (represented on this coin as "EG FECIT," which is believed to signify that the design was by Elisha Gallaudet).

It is probable that these coins did circulate in colonial America and that they did have a recognized value. This fact makes them a legitimate candidate for the first "dollar" struck in this country as well as the largest coin, in terms of size, issued prior to the establishment of the United States. The magical date 1776 makes them even more desirable, in my opinion. And, finally, the charming design on the reverse (featuring thirteen interlinked rings with the name of each colony and symbolizing unity) is believed to have been suggested by Benjamin Franklin.

For this set, I would opt for a very slightly worn piece; perhaps in the About Uncirculated-55 to 58 range. I like the idea that the coin saw some light circulation during the colonial era but would want it to be lustrous and well struck. Such a coin would cost $7,500-$10,000; making it an exceptional value for such an incredibly historic issue.>>

The article is dated 6/00, so the pricing information is probably incorrect. Nonetheless, if your coin is real, I will gladly trade you all of my AH Kennedy's!

• Options
    Man, you guys are sharp! Gotta love the free education around here. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Nonetheless, if your coin is real, I will gladly trade you all of my AH Kennedy's! >>

I'd trade too! I really like the 13 link chain and the sun dial.
  • Options
    Here is the correct URL
  • Options
    Russ, does "thumbs up" mean that my trade offer is accepted?

Robert

P.S. I do not (yet) own any AH Kennedy's. image
  • Options
    Robert,

Nah, it just means I'm grateful for the free education. The coin was actually listed on Teletrade last night. I thought it was a solid 9 on the coolness meter, so I grabbed the image. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    DAMN IT RUSS< STOP IT!!! Between you and Marty, I might start pulling an ED on you and him!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Where's Jonesy? We need a "DAMMITBOY!"
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    This piece ain't got nuttin on that fabulous Darkside rarity you showed us a few days ago!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Robert,

Nah, it just means I'm grateful for the free education. The coin was actually listed on Teletrade last night. I thought it was a solid 9 on the coolness meter, so I grabbed the image. image

Russ, NCNE >>

It was listed on Teletrash last night? Well, today it's listed on ebay! It will probably be on the Coin Vault next.
  • Options
    Doug Winter listed as one of the top 10 coolest US coins in the article linked below. The article is worth a read...

Top 10 Cool Coins

Russ,

Thank you for starting a thread on this not-well-known rarity.

Robert
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Sheesh Russ,

I thought you were inferring you made another acquisition - you do that on purpose?

I'll be honest though - I had my doubts. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Gilbert,

I did make an acquisition. I aquired the image. image With this coin, that's definitely all I can afford!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Continental Currency by Adam ******
    Continental Currency issues, such as Continental Dollars, were some of The United States' very first coins.
    The images on Continental coins are based on the designs found on fractional currency, which were designed by Benjamin Franklin. The obverse pictures a sundial and the word "FUGIO" which is Latin for "I fly" ("I" meaning time,) The reverse pictures a chain that has thirteen links, symbolizing the first 13 colonies. AMERICAN CONGRESS surrounds the motto WE ARE ONE.
    Some of the remaining dollars have the words "EG FECIT" on the obverse also. "EG FECIT" is Latin for "EG made this." Numismatists generally agree that Elisha Gallaudet, an experienced bank note engraver from New Jersey is who "EG" is referring to. He was very good at engraving the images because he had engraved the same symbols for the 1/6th dollar note plates.
    These magnificent coins were minted mostly in New York. To date, no one knows who authorized their minting. The Continental Congress did talk about minting a coin that would be used throughout the entire United Colonies. They even sent out a group to find the worth of all the foreign coins that were circulating in The Colonies at the time. But they claim they never followed through, or at least not until after the continental coins were minted.
    The continental dollar was struck in 3 metals: pewter- commonest, brass- very rare, and silver- the rarest. There are 7 known die combinations. There were four obverses and two reverse dies. Two of the obverse dies spelled "currency" wrong - one spelled it C-U-R-E-N-C-Y and the other spelled it C-U-R-R-E-N-C-E-Y.
    Many counterfeits and re-strikes exist. Most of the re-strikes were minted in 1876, the Centennial of the revolution. A man named Dr. Dickeson made die copies of these for the 1876 Centennial and a dealer made re-strikes of the 1876 version before WWI. All of these restrikes are made of pewter. Most counterfeits are low-grade cast copies that are usually pretty sloppy and with some knowledge can be easily spotted.
    Although these are very cool and historical coins, they have very low collector interest, mostly because they are very expensive, with many selling for over $10,000. The other reason for low interest is, even if you do have the money, finding problem free pieces can be very difficult. When buying these coins, I recommend doing some research before hand and/or buying only coins that have been authenticated.
    Adam ******

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file