Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint 1933 Double Eagle vs NCM replica

Besides the obvious, millions of dollars, what is the difference between the genuine and the NCM replica. I have seen the ad on TV and they never show the lower one third below the eagle of the reverse. I think this is where the word "COPY" appears. I was wondering if anyone has seen the replica in person and can tell me if this is the case. I would like to buy a replica just as a momento of a great coin. I dont want to buy it if has "COPY" stamped across it.

Thanks

Bigern image

Comments

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Hi Bigem,

Unfortunately, the replica coin must have "copy" on it or otherwise it would be a counterfeit. Additionally, you will find that the replica will be made of a base material and only plated by a few mils. Still, If you would like one of these it would probably be the best bet for you unless you have more money than Bill G. I have a replica of the coin found inside of the hunley and it has copy on it but at first blush this thing looks like the real deal! Many thanks to board memeber who provided this key historical example to me!

Kind regards,

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    Silver and its gold plated.
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    I haven't seen the commercial in some time, but in addition to the differences already posted, the numerals in the date are different also. If I remember correctly, the tops of the numeral 3 are flat, somewhat like the 1938 Jefferson nickel. image
  • Options
    The obverse is the same as the original.

The reverse has "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / E PLURIBUS UNUM" and "IN GOD WE TRUST" right above teh sun.

As for the original, the denomination of "TWENTY DOLLARS" is right under "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA".

Here is the link: http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/images/1933gold_rev1.JPG

New PGCS collector - still learning from all other fellow collectors.
  • Options
    Forgot to memtion, the guideline to issuing replica is that there must be no denomination.
    New PGCS collector - still learning from all other fellow collectors.
  • Options
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The replica does not have a denomination on it, thus it's not an exact copy and exempt from having to put COPY on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file