Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questionable Authenticity??

I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

I garnered the next to last Lincoln cent I needed for my collection about six months ago, an 09-S VDB which had nice detail but not the best of finishes and more than it's share of wings and dings.

I've unfortunately taken to selling my collection since then and I sent the coin off (through a different dealer than the one from whom I purchased the coin) to ANACS for net grading. After looking the coin over, the dealer recommended sending it to NCS instead.

Just got the call - toe tagged as "questionable authenticity"

I will be taking it back to where I purchased it today. What are the chances I am going to get resistence to taking it back? Methinks the chances are high.

Opinions?
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Comments

• Options
    I purchased a counterfeit in February that actually turned out to be genuine. Your chances probably are high of meeting some resistance, you're right but if he's any kind of an ethical dealer he'll honor the return.
  • Options
    Good luck. Hope the dealer is honorable. image

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Authenticity is one thing that should have a life time guarantee, no statue of limitations. The dealer should not only refund you your full price, but the cost of authenticating as well. He should also do it cheerfully, especially showing the receipt from NCS.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    If he doesn't honor the return, you should ask him for his ANA number. He won't want to get involved in a dispute with the ANA, he can ruin his reputation very quickly by doing that. That is, of course, if he's an ANA member.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Authenticity is one thing that should have a life time guarantee, no statue of limitations. >>

It usually does. Just return the coin in the orginal unopened holder.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Dealer: Ncs? What is that some new grading service? You know I have been in business 30 years and that coin is the real thing. Ncs buwaaaahhhh....

Goodluck image
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    He'd better take it back. The dealer trafficked in counterfeit US coinage. Remind him he is in deep doo-doo if US Teasury agents come to visit.
    DSW
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>He'd better take it back. The dealer trafficked in counterfeit US coinage. Remind him he is in deep doo-doo if US Teasury agents come to visit. >>

True, prove it is the same coin he sold you. It isn't in his holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file