Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My proposed Chicago HOF set - comments please

Hello, all. I wanted to come up with a four-sport Chicago HOF/Retired Numbers set proposal for the registry.

My guidelines were as such:

1) The player must either be in the HOF, or have thier number retired by the team. No Shoeless Joe Jackson. image
2) They must have spent at least 5 years with the team. No Seaver for the White Sox.
3) I wanted to limit the set to 50 cards to start with, with additional player being added as they are inducted (can I do this?). For example, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Santo, and Scottie Pippen should eventually be inducted. Possibly Andre Dawson some day.
4) I tried to pick either the player's rookie card or their "Key" issue. I tried to pick cards with at least around POP 50 or so.
5) I also tried to vary some of the "Key" cards to include some interesting examples, such as N28, N172, Cracker Jacks, DeLong, t-206 and t-205s.

Here's my proposed list:

Bears – Retired Numbers/HOF

Bronko Nagurski - (Key Card – 1935 National Chicle #34)
George McAfee - (Rookie Card – 1948 Leaf #19)
George Halas - (Key Card - 1952 Bowman #48)
George Blanda - (Rookie Card – 1954 Bowman #23)
Walter Payton - (Rookie Card – 1976 Topps #148)
Gale Sayers - (Rookie Card – 1966 Philadelphia #38)
Brian Piccolo - (Rookie Card – 1969 Topps #26)
Sid Luckman - (Rookie Card – 1948 Leaf #1)
Mike Singletary - (Rookie Card – 1983 Topps #38)
Dick Butkus - (Rookie Card – 1966 Philadelphia #31)
Bill George - (Rookie Card – 1956 Topps #47)
Clyde “Bulldog” Turner - (Key Card - 1948 Leaf #3)
Red Grange - (Key Card – 1933 Goudey Sports Kings #4)
Mike Ditka - (Rookie Card – 1962 Topps #17)
Dan Hampton - (Rookie Card – 1981 Topps #316)
Doug Atkins - (Rookie Card – 1954 Bowman #4)

Chicago Bulls – Retired Numbers - no HOF's yet.

Jerry Sloan - (Rookie Card – 1970-71 Topps #148)
Bob Love - (Rookie Card – 1969-70 Topps #78)
Michael Jordan - (Rookie Card – 1986-87 Fleer #57)

Chicago White Sox – Retired Numbers/HOF

Nellie Fox - (Rookie Card – 1951 Bowman #232)
Harold Baines - (Rookie Card – 1981 Topps #347)
Luke Appling - (Key Card- 1934 Goudey #27)
Minnie Minoso - (Rookie Card – 1952 Topps #195)
Luis Aparicio - (Rookie Card – 1956 Topps #292)
Ted Lyons - (Key Card - 1933 Goudey #7)
Red Faber - (Key Card – 1933 Goudey #79)
Billy Pierce - (Rookie Card – 1951 Bowman #196)
Carlton Fisk - (Rookie Card - 1972 Topps #79)
Eddie Collins (Key Card – 1911 T-205)
Ray Schalk - (Key Card – 1915 Cracker Jack #61)
Ed Walsh - (Key Card – 1911 T-206)
Hoyt Wilhelm - (Rookie Card – 1952 Topps #392)
Early Wynn - (Rookie Card – 1949 Bowman #110)

Chicago Cubs – Retired Numbers/HOF

Cap Anson – (Key Card - 1887 N-28 Allen & Ginter’s)
King Kelly – (Key Card – 1887 N172 Old Judge)
Grover Cleveland Alexander (Key Card – 1915 Cracker Jack #37)
Hack Wilson – (Key Card – 1933 Goudey #211)
Ernie Banks - (Rookie Card – 1954 Topps #94)
Billy Williams - (Rookie Card - 1961 Topps #141)
Ferguson Jenkins - Rookie Card – 1966 Topps #254)
Mordecai Brown - (Key Card - 1911 T-206)
Frank Chance - (Key Card – 1911 T-206)
Kiki Cuyler - (Key Card – 1933 DeLong #8)
Johnny Evers - (Key Card – 1911 T-206)
Joe Tinker - (Key Card – 1911 T-206)
Gabby Hartnett - (Key Card – 1933 Goudey #202)

Chicago Blackhawks – Retired Numbers/HOF

Glenn Hall - (Rookie Card – 1957 Topps #20)
Bobby Hull - (Rookie Card – 1958 Topps #66)
Denis Savard - Rookie Card – 1981 OPC #63)
Stan Mikita - (Rookie Card – 1960 Topps #14)
Tony Esposito - (Rookie Card – 1969 OPC #138)

Suggestions? Changes?

Also, do I weight the set or does PSA weight it for me?

Thank you for your help.

-Southsider

Comments

• Options
    never mind.
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    With the special personal requirements you've added like 5 years pop 50 and cards you like it doesn't seem likely that your set will appeal to anybody else. If it's what you want to collect that's great but I think that it is way too unique of a selection to be listed as a set in the scope of a normal set registry.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the special personal requirements you've added like 5 years pop 50 and cards you like it doesn't seem likely that your set will appeal to anybody else. If it's what you want to collect that's great but I think that it is way too unique of a selection to be listed as a set in the scope of a normal set registry. >>

Ok, well give me some advice on what to change?

The 5 year requirement was to weed out HOF players who were at one time or another ON the teams, but for all intents and purposes, wouldn't be thought of as a member of that team. Would you really consider Rickey Henderson to be a Red Sox HOF player?

The Pop 50 is for the "Key" cards, where there are no rookie cards available. If I were to make it the player's earliest available card, some with 2 or 3 Pop, it would appeal to even less people, no?
  • Options
    I guess I looked at it kind of like collecting a team set from one year but not including certain cards because you didn't want to include them. On something like a Henderson I would want to include him in my set if a card exists with him pictured on the team. It is a good kind of theme but hard to nail down what to include to appeal to more than one person.
  • Options
    I'm coming from the angle of who are the legendary Chicago players from all four sports. Again, take Seaver. He spent 2 1/2 years with the White Sox at the end of his career. It's hard to look at him and say, "Yeah, Seaver, he sure was one of the Chicago White Sox greats!" I know this may not appeal to many people outside of Chicago fans.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SS - I think is a cool idea. Perhaps others may register their favorite city's top players like NY, Boston, Detrot, L.A. etc...jay
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

That is a great set idea......Im all over it if there is a Pittsburgh one.

John
  • Options
    Well, I just submitted the set proposal to BJ, along with my estimated set weighting based on PSA 8 SMR.

I have to say that researching this set was really a blast. I learned a lot about some older players and more history about my teams. There are probably 5-10 cards that I won't be able to own in any grade in the near future, but at least that gives me a goal.

This is my main interest in collecting, along with other player's rookies that I grew up watching and who are a part of my childhood memories. It's a fun hobby.

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and I encourage sports fans in other cities to come up with multi-sport sets of your own.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    The Clyde "Bulldog" Turner card will most likely be changed to the '48 Bowman Football #36 issue - it is a SP. It was selected in the NFL HOF Rookie registry set, over the '48 Leaf football rookie, because of the SMR value.

I think that your master team idea is cool.
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Southsider,

I second sixdart.

Cool idea and one that I think will evolve quickly with other cities being registered.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    You know, with all of the team sets that are on the registry, I am really surprised that no one has started a 1969 Cubs Team set.

I like your picks Southsider, that could be a really neat set.
  • Options
    SS,
    I'm in...great idea. On a knee-jerk I would say I'd like each card to be in a Sox uniform... (Jose just homered as I type this...) for example, 81 Topps traded Carlton Fisk, etc. Just a thought.
    dgf
  • Options
    Great thought DGF.

Instead of their rookie card, maybe make it their Chicago rookie card. I definitely agree.

Fisk, Collins, Wilhelm, etc. would have to be in a White Sox uniform, Jenkins in a Cubs uniform and so on. Then when you look at the set, its all Chicago.

Same with Sammy when he retires.....has to be in a Cubs uniform.

But boy, some of those oldies would be really tough. Quite the challenge.
  • Options
    Well, I just got back notice from BJ that the registry isn't ready for a set of this type yet. I guess the MISC. section will be split into MISC. sports and non-sports eventually. BJ said to resubmit then.

I'm at about 60% complete as of right now, I guess this gives me some time to get closer to the 90% I anticipate being able to reach.