Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why eBay is important.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
This morning I went over to my local dealer to sell some very minor coins that I had accumulated over the past few years. This stuff was low end and cheap, but saleable. The dealer's offer was so low I rejected it and promptly came home and put it up on eBay. It sure is nice not having to be at the mercy of the dealers anymore!
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    You should post a link to your auctions on the buy/sell/trade forum. Some board members might be interested.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Amen brother.

Many brick-and-mortar shops/dealers will stiff you on buying your coins.
    They gotta do it though just to keep the lights on in the place.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Low end and cheap = common.
    Common coins will always be common which is probably why the dealer gave you the offer that he did.
    Now YOU have to do all the work and are at the mercy of the public. Only now you are additionally faced with non paying bidders, negative feed back and other eBay quirks.
    Have fun.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    I almost never sell to dealers anymore. Auctions always give me better prices.
  • Options
    The cool part is, Now YOU are the Dealer, and we can all rag on you..... Hahahaaaa

Always remember and never forget, Packaged Bullion, is just Bullion in a package.... get it ?......
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Low end and cheap = common. Common coins will always be common which is probably why the dealer gave you the offer that he did. Now YOU have to do all the work and are at the mercy of the public. Only now you are additionally faced with non paying bidders, negative feed back and other eBay quirks. Have fun. >>

Common coins do not mean that they are worthless, nor do they mean that they are not desirable, just means that they are not rare.

Non paying bidders just means you have to relist. EBay really does give the common collector often a better way to sell and a higher price than dealers. Basically you become your own dealer and get to keep a much higher percentage than could be realized from a dealer.

Dealers still have their place, but collectors now have an alternative.

Long live eBay.!

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sold many coins on eBay and have never had a non-paying coin bidder. I have had non-paying bidders in other catagories, but so few it really did not have much effect on my attitude. I have only had one bouncing check and that was from a dealer! He promptly made good.

The dealer I mentioned earlier is OK when bullion related material is involved. His offers on numismatic coins have always tended to be low.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file