Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

`Eagle` Quarters...

are to resume in 2009, unless theres an act of Congress to change the design.

I read this on the Mint website about the Quarter Dollar.

Do you think it is unlikely there will be a changed design for the post- SQ program coins?

If it were up to you, would you favor a fresh design, or do you prefer the classic design
resume production?

Comments

• Options
    What's an Eagle quarter? I'd prefer the classic designs be resumed.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thats what I saw on the Mint website. Eagle in quotations, quarters.
    Its the classic Washington quarters we refer to here I guess.

Eagle quarters...that sounds funny huh.image
  • Options
    I'd prefer they retire the dead president and go back to allegorical images of Liberty.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I think we ought to call them President General George Washington quarters. image
  • Options
    I somewhat agree Bill.
    But what depiction of Liberty would be `up-to-date` for our times?
  • Options
    I would vote for new renditions of Liberty, with detail and artistry, not this "junk" the mint keeps producing every year. The state quarters are the only somewhat artistic coins even being produced right now. An allegorical theme is what we need, doesn't matter which one, just get a good artist.
  • Options
    Up to date? How's this?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>But what depiction of Liberty would be `up-to-date` for our times? >>

Multiple earrings, eyebrow ring, lip ring, nose stud. Mint could do a colorized version with wild striped hair etc. image
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm are these more to your taste?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    If you want imagery thats up to date you need depictions of deception, corruption, and over taxation with high insurance rates. Not sure what that would look like. Unfortunately, I cannot roll back time to recapture the past spirit of America. IMHO, the men and women of the 1930's, 40's, and 50's are some of the best hero role models out there. If you left it up to some Gen Xer you'd end up with Kobe Bryant and OJ Simpson on the coins.....

Besides, according to the members here, no one would collect them (except me) because they are moderns and not worth thier time!

Wa!!

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    How about a repeat of the Seated Liberty design, but using 90% Silver 10% copper? I would like that.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Or maybe doing a program for doing all the old designs for 1 year or maybe a few to get more YNs into the coin collecting hobby.
  • Options
    There were some great patterns coins from the 1800s that could be used.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    If I were King, I'd put Liberty back on the quarter in 2009. But not some old 19th century design -- I'd commission a new, 21st century design. We need money that reflects the modern USA. I refuse to believe that art is dead in America -- somewhere amongst our 300 million people there is someone competent to design coins. Where is the Augustus St Gaudens of 2003? Find him/her, and commission a coin. And don't let it get PC'd to oblivion by some committee.

That's what I would do, but no one listens to me...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file