Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Conspiracy Theories Regarding just surfaced ex-missing 1913 Liberty Nickel

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
Calling all Numismatic detectives and Sherlock Holmes wannabees. OK, the genuine authenticated previously missing 1913 Liberty Nickel has now surfaced.......or has it? Let's hear your conspiracy theories.

How is this for a start? Someone who had the genuine missing 1913 Liberty Nickel but did not want to come forward for a myriad of possible reasons including a previous pledge of secrecy to its seller George Walton (or perhaps even having acquired it by questionable means) got in contact with a present Walton family member and offered to provide the family member with the original coin so that it could finally be liquidated. Since it was well known that the family had in its possession an altered 1913 Liberty Nickel determined to be so by no less an authority than Stack's Auction House, the recently accomplished switch-er-oo provided the perfect cover and avenue for bringing the coin out into the public, allowing it to be auctioned (or sold to a broader market of potential buyers), and hyped for maximum monetary gain.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    They say- If you cant say something good about someone or something, then dont say anything at all.

Well, My lips are sealed. image
  • Options
    Ofcourse,Its the coin to which I,m not speaking of, Not you NorthCoin.
  • Options
    Cam40 - if your lips are sealed how come that big open mouthed grin? image
  • Options
    Now we need a nice story about the "Missing 1933 Double Eagle", that one should be found at next year's ANA Convention, jk.
  • Options
    Cam40 - if your lips are sealed how come that big open mouthed grin?

hehehe. Your very estute NC. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's hold off on the theories until reading a factual account of its introduction to the public. I saw pictures of it last night on the local news. It resides in a custom made, inscribed, lucite holder that appears to be of late 1950's or very early 1960's vintage.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think aliens made it to throw us into confusion in advance of conquering the all important nation of Lichtenstein.
  • Options
    I'm just glad I don't own one of the other four now that the population has gone up.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    The butler did it, with the candlestick, in the study.

Didn't Abe Kosoff see the 5th one and opine that the date was altered? He was a mighty good judge of these things. 40+ years later he was wrong?
    DSW
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Kosoff is reported as having said that the coin found at the Walton wreck site had an altered date, but I don't know if he actually saw the coin or was just repeating the Stacks opinion.
  • Options
    Those custom made lucite holders from the 50's and 60's only require a screwdriver to open up and slip in a replacement coin. Until the slabbed coins of the 70's it was very easy to switch coins in a holder.

Interesting question as to whether Abe K. actually saw the coin and determined it was altered in addition to the original Stack's opinion. My guess is at least one or more members of the George Walton family knew all along that the coin was authentic (and somehow got someone at Stack's to go along with the ruse so the coin would not disappear into the Estate Sale) or the coin now being "discovered" is the original which has been substituted as hypothesized in the first post above. (Another possibility is that the family member may have substituted an altered coin purposely for the one found in the car wreck to be examined by Stack's since Stack's never held onto the "altered" coin and gave it back to the family.)

It had always seemed suspicious to me that while she was living the long time family member owner was so uncooperative about letting outsiders view the coin.
  • Options
    Interesting observations regarding timing and availability of display at ANA.
  • Options
    Referenced thread regarding plaque that mysteriously appeared during is discussed in Philycoin's thread titled, "Take another look..." with an interesting "no comment" in the responses.
  • Options

<< <i>Kosoff is reported as having said that the coin found at the Walton wreck site had an altered date, but I don't know if he actually saw the coin or was just repeating the Stacks opinion. >>

Haven't some of Kosoff's other statements from the very latter portion of his career been determined to be a little off kilter? I think I recall a Gobrecht Journal article that made some comments about him being very confused on a number of issues related to some seated coins he had reviewd at the end of his distinguished numismatic career.

Of course, that article would have just been the expression of one man's opinion.
    Go well.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I like northcoin's theory. Something is definitely fishy about this coin appearing as it did.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    I still say someone in the mix knew where that thing was months ago and staged the whole reward thing......think about it......you have a coin that might be worth millions......all of a sudden, someone offers a mill for it, and you're gonna sit on it for a few months waiting for a particular coin show to come around to reveal it? And my other Q is, if that's the real one, where's the fake the family had?
    imageimage

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Non-coin people to whom I have told this story seem to find it fascinating. yes, fratlaw, let's option the screenplay!
    DSW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file