Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price help on 52 Proof Set in unopened box

I know someone that has several and was wondering what a good price would be. He also has a bunch of original Franklin rolls, but the only date I can think of off hand is 52d. A price on that would be appreciated also. The rolls are extremely nice, not in the original bank wrappers, but in plastic tubes with yellowed tape sealing them. The rolls and the proof sets look untampered with.

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    If you can buy a 1952 for about 20% over ask, it's worth the shot.....the 50 - 53 sets on eBay usually pull 40+% over ask.

My thinking is I'll go 10% over ask for OBWs in original papers; at least on the tougher dated quarters and half rolls.....plastic tubes? I'd only go bid unless you really feel comfortable with the seller or can examine them first.

52-D Frankies are bid/ask at 140/155

That's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I would strongly advise you not to buy any "unopened" early proof sets. There was a guy over on RCC who bought one (another 52 set) on eBay and the box contained a 72 proof set. The seller refused to take it back, saying it was opened and the buyer probably replaced the 52 coins with 72 coins.
  • Options
    What is bid/ask on a 52 proof set?

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    no sheeeee eric that sucks

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I don't know why anyone would buy an un-opened 52 set.... Open it up and look at the coin's... then procede.....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    More likely than not that the staple has rusted and affected one or more coins.
    Open the box and look before you buy.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Open the box and look before you buy. >>

You can't buy an "unopened box" and "open and look" before you buy. If the price for an unopened box is agreed to and you open it it is yours, period. If you insist on opening it first then the seller should have the right to change the price upward after it is opened and examined. the problem is that it doesn't compensate him if the set has problems and the buyer rejects it, because now he can't get as much as he could have if you hadn't opened it. So there should be at least an non-returnable fee for someone who insists on opening the set first.
  • Options
    I bought an unopened 53 proof set on Ebay, and paid handsomely for it.. When I opened it, found a 54 set. The seller did not believe me...even when I asked him to donate the difference to a local coin club.image
  • Options

<< <i>What is bid/ask on a 52 proof set? >>

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd never go for the "unopened box" routine. I also wouldn't go for the Franklin rolls as original if they were in plastic tubes. That tape could have been applied in the 90's. The rolls could easily have been picked over. Remember, this is the coin business. It is not the land of high ethical standards!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    The unopened box still must contain what you say it contains. I can't sell you an "unopened box" purportedly containing the King of Siam proofset, then you open it and it contains a 2003 Lincoln cent. That's F-R-A-U-D. Report it to the law enforcement authorities. The issue is whether or not the box has been opened, not its contents.
    DSW
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Buying an "unopened" (yeah, right) proof set is pure speculation. No, let me take that back. It's worse than speculation, if you believe the personal experiences cited above.

However, if you can't resist, and you intend to pay a premium to buy the set just to open it up anyway, I recommend the following:
    1) Agree with the seller on the price of the set and how much of the sales price represents the "unopened" premium.
    2) Pay the premium.
    3) Open the set only in the presence of the seller.
    4) If it is as advertised, pay the balance.
    5) If not, you're only out the premium.
    6) Seller keeps his set to now sell as opened.

The flaw in the process above is that an unethical seller will repeat the process just to collect the premium. But if you have to have an unopened set, you need some protection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file