Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who just sold a 1913 Lib Nick for $3 million???

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reading the CNN article here, it says, "Today, two of them are in private hands, one is in the Smithsonian, and one is in the ANA's museum. Yesterday, one that sold in 2001 for $1.9 million changed hands in a private transaction for approximately $3 million."

Does anyone know whose nickel this was? Wasn't the Legend one the one that originally sold for the most? Did Laura sell it??? image

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    She had to get that 5 mil somewhere image

Pm Her.
  • Options
    Manley sold it to Edward C. Lee for "about $3 million" last night
  • Options
    Placid- I'm going to stop by her table on Friday when I first arrive... I'll just ask (I promised to bug her, so if she doesn't want to tell me immediately... image)

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I guess we have our answer image
  • Options
    They arent very clear on prices it never sold for 1.9 it was 1.84 mill.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It very clearly sold for around 3 million to Edward C. Lee. It was Manley who sold the coin. No confusion about it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    I was there, and I will also confirm that Dwight Manley sold his coin ( for which he paid 1.84) for 3 million to Edward Lee.
  • Options
    And just to think, back in the spring of 1975, you could have bought a Choice 1913 V nickel for the small sum of $300,000.00
    right out of Bowers & Ruddy's "Rare coin review #22"... Very interesting reading the 7 page write up on the coin....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file