Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How is Disme pronounced.

Silly question, how is Disme pronounced, is the S silent?

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Deem.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Yep, it's pronounced Deem.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Whoops!

Hear it pronounced here

In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary box, type in disme and click "Look It Up" and there will be a link to the audio

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    nothing happens when i click on your link
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Maybe relayer is trying to tell us that all the letters are silent.
    Whacha think?
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Sounds like he is saying Dime to me, with an I sound
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Hmmm.......I always thought it was pronounced dime, just like a regular dime.

Dictionary says dime also. Never heard of the deem pronounciation before.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    According to various coin books I've looked through just now, it is definitely pronounced deem. I'd probably go with the pronunciation given by a numismatic reference over Merriam Webster.
  • Options
    I should also add that Deem was the french pronunciation for the coin and it has been documented that we used this term until we later altered it to Dime. Of course, we have to do everything our own way!
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Hey Brian,

If it's French.......well, that explains everything.

What more is there to say other than damn....err, dime.......err, deem.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    lol, you got it deadhorse!
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course its current pronunciation is "Freedom coin." [Speaking of things French I understand if you go to google and place the keywords "French Military Victories" into the search box and then hit "I'm feeling lucky" you would get a response that says, "Do you mean French military defeats, there are no victories." I see now that response has been altered but there still is reference to it as you scroll down.]
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    LOL!! Thanks guys, I've been pronouncing disme, dis-may!!!!

Deem

Makes sence to me.
    J'har
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I guess if you ask a frenchie to pronounce this word ..`Dime` they,d say....Deem...Oui

I never knew how it sounded. I thought maybe it sounded like diz-me or dis-me.

Walt Dizzme`s Mickey Moose.....image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another example of what a screwed up mess the English language,as used in this country, really is.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Remember that our language originated in Europe with a lot of French in it (among other influences and contributions from Latin, German, Greek, etc). And in Europe an I is pronounced EE. And in this case the S is silent making the pronunciation (phonetically) DEEM.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tis true but then who would ever guess that Colonel is pronounced kernel when it doesn't even have a freakin R in it. Not to say that it is a U.S. born word but it does illustrate the difficulty that newbies have learning it largely cuz there are more exceptions to the rule than there are rules.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    At one time Breen also reported the finding of a poem contemporary to the period in which the word disme was used to rhyme with the word steam. (No I don't have a copy of the stanza refered to.) The term disme was used, at least in internal mint records until 1837.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thing about colonel. From dictionary.com:

Alteration of obsolete coronel, from French, from Old Italian colonello, from diminutive of colonna, column of soldiers, from Latin columna, column. See kel-2 in Indo-European Roots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file