LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

I relunctantly pass along breaking news. As posted at the Rockabilly
Hall of Fame group Sam Phillips has passed away this evening. It was a
short statement so I looked for confirmation and found it at the website
of Memphis TV station WREG:

July 30, 2003

Memphis, TN - The man credited with launching the career of Elvis
Presley is dead tonight at the age of 80. Sam Phillips - the founder of
Sun Records died at St. Francis hospital shortly after seven.

Phillips dramatically shaped the history of rock and roll and country
music. He launched the careers of Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins,
Jerry lee Lewis, Charlie Rich and others who drew from roots based
African American sounds that Phillips loved. He also promoted a couple
of African American entertainers who went on to international
fame...B.B. King and Howlin' Wolf.

Phillips loved radio early on and actually worked for our predecessor...
Wrec radio in 1945. In 1952 he founded Sun Records on Union avenue and
the rest is history. Again Sam Phillips... A legend in the music
business dead tonight at the age of 80.

The world of Rock N' Roll, Blues, and DooWop has suffered a great loss
tonight. Great DooWop also was recorded in the halls of the little
studio on 76 Union Avenue. Who could forget the Prisonaires? Several
other great group sounds were recorded but not released until the 70's.

SAM PHILLIPS RIP

Bye Bye Sam..... You were the man, and you shaped Rock'n Roll with the Legendary Sun Sound. I've lost yet another. image

Lucille
imageBe Bop A Lula!!
"Senorita HepKitty"
"I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, >>

Don't forget that Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash started at Sun Records also.....

Phillips was a genius when it came to talent "scouting".

jom
  • Options

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    A young man Came to Sun studios to make a record for his Momma....... A recording of a sweet ballad about a dog tittled Old Shep.....
    Sam Phillips heard this record and knew this boy had a gift...... Sam and Elvis hooked up again and worked on this song... Sam brought in a Bassist called Bill Black and a Guitar player named Scotty Moore.... They worked our a song and the rest is history....

In honor of you Sam, you were there.... Elvis in Sun Studios young and raw, the beggining of a Legend..

right click on link and save......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In honor of you Sam, you were there.... Elvis in Sun Studios young and raw, the beggining of a Legend.. >>

Cooooool. I always liked that one but "Mystery Train" was always my favorite!

"Train, train.....!"

jom
  • Options
    R.I.P Sam. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I recorded the PBS thing on Sun Records and Sam `and the boys`.
    I liked how Sam said about Elvis, Man, That guy was always doing something with his hair.
    Combing it in the mirror and looking at it at all angles. Man He was vain. lol

Being the big ol Zeppelin fan I am, I really enjoyed seeing Jimmy and Robert do a little number
    there with the guys back a few years ago. Everyones aged abit but they all still`had it`.
    I wish I could meet Scotty Moore. He seems like the nicest guy in the world.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi Lucy. Sam Phillips was a visionary and, considering the times in which Sun Records existed, VERY ahead of his time. Sun Records was an entirely "indie" label in an era where the major labels were already firmly entrenched as the powerbrokers of the industry. Philips, along with other legendary indie music biz visionaries such as "Berry Gordy" (Motown), completely changed the face of music and culture itself.

Phillips was a true optimist. The name of the Label "Sun Records" was so named as a result of his pure optimism and belief in a better tomorrow. Philips was one of the few in the music biz who treated artists "one on one" with artistic dignity, no-nonsense production skills, and a keen sense of "raw talent." He took care of business economically with his artists - something MANY (most) label heads did NOT do. Phillips prided himself on actually listening to almost any artist that knocked on his door. He was such an optimist, that he believed EVERYONE and ANYONE with a tune in their head could potentially have a hit. Such a behavior is simply UNKNOWN in the music biz where fat egos of fat executives are the norm. May Sam Phillips be at peace in musical GLORY. matteproof.
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    R.I.P. A legend. Imagine the coins he could have bought in the old days.
    DSW
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am fairly certain it was John Lennon who that said "A whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" was the greatest rock & roll record ever recorded... he may have been right.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Another legend gone. image
    I remember when I was younger;
    I never recognized the names of the departed,
    Now as I am older;
    Mortality is a reality!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    rest in peace sam, thanks for the vision you had, and for sun records,..... its not how many breaths in life you take.......its how many that leave you breathless...........rock n rock will never die..............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file