Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Cut Short

For me anyway.

Planned to arrive Wednesday morning and depart Thursday night, but that didn't work out.

So I had about 7 hours down there to soak it all in, which isn't enough, but its better than nothing.

Met Anaconda (and Anaconda 2) in person for the first time and he (senior) was pretty much what I expected - a cool guy with tons of people milling around his table drooling. Looked to me like he was generating at least as much interest as any other dealer in the house which is pretty impressive - and he had some awesome coins.

And finally got to meet Dennis of JadeCoin who is a good guy as well.

Seeing that 5th 1913 Nickel was cool. I learned of its discovery during the ribbon cutting ceremony 5 minutes before entering the show which was a shocker - and apparently not only to me, as a whole bunch of mainstream media people were frantically interviewing anyone even remotely connected to the story. While I wasn't interviewed myself (perhaps to offer a colonial collectors perspective), I was close enough to the action to hear the phrase 'Hawaii Five-O' mentioned at least 17 times in a 2 hour period.

Thats about it. Bought no coins, but did buy 5 books / catalogs.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Who did you get the books from?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kranky what do you think of the chance that he got the books from John Burns?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Chances of buying books (at least the old catalogs and out of print stuff that I pursue) from John Burns were 50/50, as he and Charles Davis were the only to guys in the room selling them.

I did buy from both of them.

And I also met Karl Moulton (another book dealer from whom I've bought tons of stuff) for the first time as he dropped by to see Mr. Burns while I was standing there. Meeting Karl was constructive, as I got the chance to tell him that if my wife ever sees him shes going to kill him for ruining our dining room.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been to baltimore yet so I didn't know who was down there selling books, but John is a friend of mine and said he would be there so I just guessed.
    I will see John tomorrow myself
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    It was great to meet you today CCU (Singapore). I apologize for not being able to talk with you more, but I had a crazy day and was not all together “with it” today. I did get back our rare NJ that I told you about. Whew! That was close. Also, we did not win the Mass half cent. We dropped out at $7,750. The coin closed at $7,500. On Thursday, I plan to look at the one you recommended. Thanks for your opinions and advice!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i> Also, we did not win the Mass half cent. We dropped out at $7,750. The coin closed at $7,500. >>

???? Must have been a strange auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file