Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pole question, Is the coin buiz/hobby still fun for you ?

For me, when I was young I was cheated more times then I can count. I think some dealers take terrible pics. I hate site unseen no return priveledge coin doc's. I think the level of honosty in the world we live in today is why most of us keep our coins in vaults or safes. The crackout profiteers are hurting the next owner of the maxed out gradeflation coins.

Oh, yes I still love the hobby !!! Stress and all !!!

Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    It is way fun for me cause I get to meet cats like you!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Overall it's still fun for me. Only problem is that I want coins I can't afford. All the really nice stuff is just so #@$ expensive. I'm having to learn some patience now and saving money to buy maybe 2-5 nice coins a year. Unless one of the rich people here want to sponsor some coins for me. image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    barberlover just of curiosity, is there anything that you like?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Yes, running into dealers that are still around that enjoy the hobby of coin collecting.

And also knowing that unlike 30 years ago, I don't need anyones help to pick out nice coins.

and cool folks who like to share there own coin stories here.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It is still fun after almost 30 years! (I feel old).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Sure it is. I just traded one of our cubs for a Barber Half.

Now that was fun.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    It almost wasn't. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to purchase a rather nice and expensive coin. I looked at it, I contemplated it, went over it again and again. And that was in the 30 minutes or so I was actually holding the coin in my hand. I decided to pass on it. It was a really nice coin and was graded well, but it didn't have the wow factor I was looking for.

Then on the ride home, I got the overwhelming feeling I had made a mistake. I thought I'll never find one as nice, I should have pulled the trigger. What if I never found one as nice. Then I got stressed out. Luckily my wife was with me and talked me off the ledge.

At that moment I realized how a hobby could become more then just fun. It was causing me stress, and I basically vowed never to let that happen again.

Work, family ect causes enough stress, a hobby should be a release, a get away if you will from that. It should always be fun. When it isn't I guess I'll take up golf or something. image

Michael
  • Options
    Absolutly,going to coin shows has never been more fun since buying my computer and joining the various coin boards,meeting many members and attending coin shows with them from time to time.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    I love the thrill of "the hunt". My collection will never be complete no matter how long I live.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Michael, I felt a little relieved reading your post, thank youimage---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Remember - they're just coins.

BTW: Do you have to be Polish to answer the Pole question, or can anybody participate?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Polish people can vote, that is why they have the "undecided" category------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been fun for me since I was 6 years old.image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>barberlover just of curiosity, is there anything that you like? >>

Dog97, seems that way to me too.

People are "cheated" due to lack of knowledge. Chances are taken in purchases, but who is to blame but the chance taker? There are many negatives being stated on this forum. This "IS" a fun hobby for the informed, educated buyer/seller. Mistakes are a learning process. That is what life is all about, that is what any hobby is all about.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    YES! For the simple reason that if you can stomach coins that have sustained heavy wear or unsightly damage, you can afford classis american rarities! Thank goodness ( for me ) a lot of collectors can't, cuz it left me the opportinity to own a 1797 small eagle half dime, 1795 flowing hair half dollar and 1793 wreath cent for a franction of what a decent, average circulated piece would cost!
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    The uncertainty and risk of it all is what keeps it being fun. Read, read, read everything you can get your hands on about whatever numismatic topic you are interested in. That's your protection. Be smarter than those who would take advantage of you. Frattlaw: I envy that your wife does coins with you. I'm married 28 years and my wife thinks that my interest in coins is real, real dumb stuff.
    DSW
  • Options
    I just love it, and have for over 25 years... I can't wait to get to the store every single morning.....
    My biggest pain, is having to make all the expense's every month....

I'm Like one of my friend's here that say's.... "When my ship came in, I was waiting at the Air-Port"..... yup, that's me.....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    Always has Always will
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having more fun than ever. Before I found the boards coin collecting was
    just a 16 hour per day hobby for me, now a lot of the fun is a little different
    but with multi tasking, and and eating drinking, and sleeping coins it's turned
    into a 32 hour per day hobby. Yes, that makes it double mint fun.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when I was young I was cheated more times then I can count. >>

Yeah, me too. Except I'm old and am constantly getting cheated. Hell, I've been cheated four or five times this week alone. Too many slick talking dealers around that take advantage of my ignorance. Now I'm all depressed. Well, it was fun for me. Now, I need some drugs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Yes I was ripped many times as a kid but that was 30 years ago. Today it is more fun than ever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file