Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GRADES IN! Day 91...

1 21286568 1909 VDB 1C MS66RD
2 21286569 1970-S 5C DNC
3 21286570 1881-O S$1 MS63
4 21286571 1881-S S$1 DNC
5 21286572 1885-O S$1 MS64

Coins 2-5 are rainbows. ...disappointed on the nickel. It was a hope. I'll have to look at coin #4 when it gets in. ...it's been so long since I've seen them, cant remember what's what...

David

Comments

• Options
    The VDB is a nice grade.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jefferson is on the nickel...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy you got your grades Daddy-o, that 1909 is a good one....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can you post what service holders the coins were-are in?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Was it worth the 3 month wait? Or would you have been better off leaving them in the origional holders?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting grades!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well,

I'd have liked to have gotten the nickel in a PCGS holder. It was the reason for the submission. If the 09 VDB didnt cross, I would have been pretty hacked. It's nicer than three PCGS 67RD's and five NGC 67RD's I've seen. I do not think it deserved 67RD, but then, I didnt think the others that I saw did either.

On the other three, I dont have pics. I'll post them when they get back. I think the 81-S dollar that DNC was in an ICG holder. The other two, I think, were NGC.

Was it really worth the wait? Tough call. Lets say, if I had it to do over again, I wouldnt... and leave it at that.

David
  • Options
    That nickel is beauty. Was it cross only at 67?
  • Options
    dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Congrats David!

Now that yours are posted and mine were a day behind yours, I can expect my grades tomorrow rightimage

Let's just say I won't be holding my breath! Congrats again, Dave
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    The nickel was cross at 65 or better. I guess they didnt like the toning.

David
  • Options
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I guess I mentioned the nickel might not make it -

I have seen many combinations/colors on nickels and I am sure there are many more for me to see

you posted links to many nickels sold/selling on eBay from jbsteven - eack coin had a consistent theme

I have seen all yellow with variations
    I have seen all blue/purple with variations
    I have seen ring/circular toning around a portion (and sometimes all) especially in the purple/blue from proof cellophane

This coin has 2 themes which makes me scratch my head - if the yellow was gone from the middle and it was basically white centered I would say yes

If it did not have so much purple width around the edges I would say yes
    PCGS errs on the side of their safety (and the millions and millions of coins they have collectively seen as graders)

The coin looked a good PR66-68 (I could not tell depth of mirrors from photo- but did not see any destracting marks/hairlines/spots) - so I think we can assume they were not thrilled on color

Having said all that, I am somewhat surprised it got into ANACS slab, but think there is a better chance of crossing into a NGC slab, as they seem more liberal/tolerant of seldom seen colors and combinations.

I agree it sucks to pay $100 and lose your coins for 3 months, and it still might be a couple weeks until they are back in your hand

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file