Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    On page 82 of the Bowers and Merena 2003 Baltimore Auction there is a picture of a NGC AU53 1916-D Mercury Dime with a vertical scratch near the hairline. You can't see it in the photo, but they listed it in the text. (thats my 10 cents worth)

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Actually, that was the coin I was referring to. I'm looking at that one to possibly add to my collection.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Beth.

I'll answer this question and another question you had across the street. Heck I'll even throw ANACS in just for good measure.

The 25S Merc I have in my set was originally graded by ANACS. There is a very light scratch on her face about 1/4 inch long. ANACS did not give this dime the FB designation so when I signed up for the NGC collectors club off it went for a opinion from them. It came back MS63 just as ANACS had said. Still convinced that the coin was a FB coin I shipped it off to PCGS after signing up for thier collectors club. This time I did not crack it but said same grade or higher. Well PCGS was in a good mood and gave the dime MS64 with Full Bands. Looks to me as all three of the top services will grade a scratched coin if the scratch is very minor. In this instance I believe they had no choice as the reverse is MS66 for sure.

Hope this helps a little with your question.

Ken
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I have a 37-s quarter I bought early in my collecting days, pcgs ms64 with a huge scratch across Washington's neck. I guess other than that the coin is pretty flawless, and I used to like it fine, but now people I've shown it to couldn't believe it was even graded, and now I don't like it. I guess I'll have try to get rid of it somehow, and maybe upgrade to a 65 anyway.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent in a 1903 V nickel with a long scratch in the field in front of Liberty's face that was about 3/8" long. It looked like a hair that was on the coin. PCGS graded it MS63. I thought that it was a solid MS64, and probably would have received that grade had it not been for that scratch. I hope that this helps.

Paul.

Later, Paul.