Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

75 brett psa 10 over 34 goudey - heres why

Just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts regarding the easy dismissal of middle 70's-early 80's psa graded cards versus true "vintage" material. I am not 50,60,70 years old, I'm 35, i love the mick, gehrig and ruth as much as the next guy, but guess what?, never saw them play, never listened to their exploits on the radio, or watched them on tv, now Brett, Reggie, Garvey, Yount, etc, I watched them every week on monday night baseball and the saturday game of the week, i went to different stadiums and saw them play in person, i listened to the far away am radio stations at night, 1977-1981 was MY time, Reggie hitting 3 home runs in 1 game, the next year watching Bob Welch mowing Reggie down and not believing it, Pops and the Pirates making the most unbelievable comeback in 79, i was 11,12,13, i had spending money from mowing lawns and a whole 50 cent a week allowance and i was buying baseball cards and KISS cards (yeah i know - duhhh) from the ice cream man every day, these were my boyhood idols. I totally understand how for investment purposes the vintage stuff will always be a better choice, ie... supply, war, paper drives, mom cleaning out room, etc, etc. but for me, give me my 77,78 and 79's in psa 9 and 10 and I'm happy, these are my guys, and I'm sticking with them. Thats why for a lot of guys(and girls) my age, we'll take that Brett,Yount,Molitor,Eddie Murray rookie in psa 10 over the vintage stuff, theres a connection there we just don't have with the 30's,40's,50's,early 60's stuff.
anyway just my thoughts on it, anybody else have any?

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey I'm 35 as well and I understand your argument.

The basis would have to be purely emotional though and doesn't make sense from a population standpoint.

As a side thought, most of the people who collect did not see Ruth or the rest play either.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget one of the most important factors:

1) There are at least a handful of collectors (I can think of at least three) that only collect Hall of Fame cards in PSA 10 GEM MINT condition. Add in some that specialize in HOF rookies in PSA 10 GEM MINT condition, and you have very high prices realized and multiples paid for HOF rookie cards in PSA 10 GEM MINT condition.

Though PSA 8 is typically the standard most collectors and afficianados judge by -- there are numerous collectors out there for whatever reason (space, speculation, budget, etc.) that would rather focus on a smaller niche than a larger whole. That is why we sometimes see amazing prices realized for PSA 10 GEM MINT cards -- particularly those of HOFers, HOF rookies, etc.

If one would think that there is a certain collector out there who only has 20-30 cards in their "primary" collection -- you might not initially think much of that collection. But if you found out that every card was a PSA 10 GEM MINT rookie card of a Hall of Famer or a future Hall of Fame lock -- well, that then is a very impressive run.

You may not believe it -- you may not agree with the "value" of doing so -- but understand that the people that have six+ figures to routinely put into the hobby are not necessarily looking for investment returns. They might have a big ego, they might have a big wallet -- they might want to store their entire collection in a small safety deposit box. But at the end of the day, they can say -- "Hey, I've got the best HOF rookie card collection out there." or whatever iteration they might be talking about. And that's something special -- if for no other reason, the pure low population of such cards and their tendenancy to be in private collections thus making it very difficult to pry away and store in any one accumulated collection.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bleacherbumbleacherbum Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Carew,
    I just did a quick check and the pop on both cards is 3. Another consideration is that you could make a strong case that the 1975 Brett is the most significant card of the 70's decade, whereas the Dizzy Dean isn't even in the top 10 in the set it is in.

Steve
  • Options
    bleacherbumbleacherbum Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Oops, my mistake. It is the top card in MINT 9 condition for that set.
  • Options
    I agree with gfb about collecting the heros of our youth.Myself being 30 years old and collecting since 1983 I like to collect clemens,mattingly,puckett and those types of players that were popular when we were young.I think that most people like myself who collect for the sheer enjoyment love to buy the cards we always wanted when we were a kid but did not have the money to(84 Fleer Update,84 Donruss),just to name a couple of examples.Like the saying goes different strokes for different folks.As an enjoyment factor I would much rather have those 70's and 80's cards than cards of stars of the past.Most people like me just like to feel young again and remember those simpler times when you had no responsibilities and your only worry was how you were going to get money to buy cards.Just my 2 cents.
    Bruce
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I agree aswell I collect playes I grew up watching or watch today. And I cant afford PSA 9 1933 Goudey BABE. Feel free to send me one though .image
    x
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>...Most people like me just like to feel young again and remember those simpler times when you had no responsibilities and your only worry was how you were going to get money to buy cards.Just my 2 cents.
    Bruce >>

Bruce,

I'm 32 and that's still my only worry. image

JEB.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Sorry. Duplicated Post.

JEB.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    GFB: I assume you mean my "easy dismissal" of 70's and 80's cards over true vintage? Not exactly. Just wondering how many raw/still sealed cards could that 10K have gotten a look at? Although I occasionally buy a 1967 cello to break, I have no clue on sealed 1975 cases. Any help? Just wondering if he could've found 2 or 3 or more GM 10's (along with MANY 9's) for the same 10K. What's the consensus of '75 stuff that still is sealed vs. the amount opened and graded?

Totally understand sentiment and connection to certain cards, teams, years, etc. over other cards that just don't mean anything to certain people. Maybe 30 years from now NOBODY will have a connection to pre-WWII players/cards and they could be had for a fraction of today's price. I am also 35, grew up with the stars of the 70's and 80's, and don't build sets for investment purposes.

Collect what you like!

E

Thanks
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    EJ> If there's a ton of unopened 75T regular issue stuff out there, I sure haven't seen it. At least outside of the occasional rack pack and cello packs at shows. And even then, most of the time the cards on top and bottom of each "pack" are mangled. I know you realize that even if there are boxes/cases out there, if they're impoperly stored then the cards inside are going to suffer.

I see 75 Mini wax boxes come to eBay on a semi-regular basis. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a 75 regular issue box on eBay.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.