Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this seller optomistic? (GLW Morgan Registry Set)

Ran across this auction that was listed yesterday. Is there something I'm missing? No matter how I figure it, I can't come up with a figure anywhere near his asking price.

Auction

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ONLY if ALL the coins listed in the auction that are NOT graded are MS67s!

peacockcoins

• Options
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Junks! 48th finest? Come on, man! If you 're not in the top 10, why bother mention it.image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he added a exrta zero by mistake.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Maybe the eBay ID he chose has something to do with it - bullony123! image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy is high...
  • Options
    Don't know about prices but you better not pay unless he's sitting in front of you with the coins and you check each one thoroughly. Zero feedback=scam?
  • Options

<< <i>That guy is high... >>

on..........................................bullonyimage
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    How about that, he lives in North Bend, Oregon. That's only 20 miles away form me!-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I checked the registry set, and it says it is for sale. The email listed on the registry comes back to the seller. Still, zero feedback registered on eBay Monday, I think I'll pass! image
  • Options
    It is unfortunate, but his set does not have a very high average grade. The reason his set ranks as high as it does is due to its near completion (78%). This is also the reason it will not get much better. You see from a statistical point of view, since it is nearly complete and since it has such a large number of coins that grade below MS-60, it has become nearly impossible for this set to climb much higher.

There are only two really valuable coins for sale (and one is not in the set at all). One is the 1893-S PCGS certified at XF-40. The other coin for sale is an 1895 PR-20. It does not say it is certified, but it is by far the most valuable coin for sale in the auction. Its presence in the auction skews the value of the entire auction, and since he doesn't state the 1895 is certified, puts the whole auction at risk from a buyers perspective.

If he were really serious about offering a reasonable set for a reasonable price, he would take the raw coins off the table and sell the 1893-S by itself.

Numonebuyer

P.S. The link provided shows the breakdown of his set.
  • Options

<< <i>Junks! 48th finest? Come on, man! If you 're not in the top 10, why bother mention it. >>

I am quite proud of my 62nd finest, thank you.

Numonebuyer
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Junks! 48th finest? Come on, man! If you 're not in the top 10, why bother mention it. >>

I am quite proud of my 62nd finest, thank you.

Numonebuyer >>

Junks!imageimage
  • Options
    Show us your set ERimage-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BigE,
    I promise you once I get a camera, I 'll post pictures of my coins. BTW, I don 't care much for the Set Registry. Hey, I have the finest coin collection, as far as I 'm concerned.imageimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Weird set. I didn't even know 81-S's came in AU-58.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Could be a "home made" set, a lot of people in Oregon are that way-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

For that kind of money I'd like to be in the top 40 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>For that kind of money I'd like to be in the top 40 image >>

Hey, my set is #38. I'll even cut you a bargain, $49,999 including personal delivery! image
  • Options
    I don't mean to pick any seeds here but "optomistic" is spelled optimistic. image I only noticed because it's in the title, I'm really not that picky. image I can't figure it either, seems like he doesn't really want to sell and is only hoping someone might be crazy enough to bid that amount. Ya never know! I know P.T. Barnum is shaking his fists right about now.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't mean to pick any seeds here but "optomistic" is spelled optimistic. >>

Congratulations, your posting ID has just been changed to "nitpickincoins".... image
  • Options
    Shucks. What can I do to earn my title back? image I can't be known as the nitpicker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file