Home Q & A Forum
Options

In the best interest of the coin

As many famous numismatists have noted, we are just custodians of the coins we possess. We need to help preserve them for future generations. Many of us own coins in PCGS holders that have "minor" problems. For example, I have a 1956 PR66 DCam cent. It's a nice coin, middle of the road dcam, but it has a few minor black spots. Some of those spots appear to be expanding. What to do in this and related situations where the state of the coin is deteriorating? One option would be to send it to a place like NCS to have it "conserved", if possible. I'm sure you have given this and other options significant thought. What would be your recommendation? And if it differs, what would be PCGS' recommendation. Thanks.

Richard

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Richard...Some copper coins deterioate over time...it just happens. There's not much anyone can do about it. As as far as I know, there is no way to "conserve" copper proofs. If the spots grow and it effects the grade, we'll buy the coin back on the basis of our grading guarantee. It's all we can do.

David