Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Population Report Suggestion- Comments?

Has anyone brought up this point. When psa updates the population report, maybe highlight which grade/player has been updated? similar to when we update our registries. This would make life easier when researching. unless someone else has a suggestion/comment?
drock1026

Always collecting 2001 Baseball Sweet Spot
drock1026@aol.com

Comments

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    It's a thought I've had many times, and a good idea.
    in the meantime you can cut and paste the data into excel and manipulate pretty easy and do a "long-hand scroll". John Rinck has worked out a methodology for doing this on his beloved '71's.
    betcha he posts.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    But of course I'll post!

This really isn't a hard thing to do if you write a program to do it. My 1971 Topps program does this. Unfortunately it is beyond my capacity to do this for every PSA set, though.

But if I can do one set with relative ease, then PSA certainly can do it for all of their sets. They'd probably have to hire a full-time programmer or contract out someone to integrate this idea in to the flow of operations. I'm sure that if enough people asked for it then they'd do it.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Functionally, it is pretty simple to flag updates, assuming there's an easy way to modify the database scheme without impacting the other functions. Questions would have to be answered about the time span and other details, but as they do something like this in the SMR, it should be implementable.

I'd also like to see a greater search function and more automation, maybe tied into the set registry. For regular sets, it's one thing, but for player sets and other specialty sets it would be cool to have a one-click pop report for those, especially the large master sets.

Finally, I'd clean up the database and make it easier to get things updated. For card sets of the last 10 years, nearly every set is littered with variant names for the same things, inserts combined with base cards, and parallels indistinguishable from regular cards; it's just generally messed up. While I know that there are bound to be insoluble problems in cleaning that up, most of it is easy. The problem seems to lie in their (not unreasonable) policy of having the card on hand and printing a new label. For majorly mislabeled cards this is good, but for small typos, that's kind of a pain. I have a card in one of my sets that has the wrong card number on it. To get that corrected, I have to send in the card to PSA. Well, I'm waiting to get a good sized submission together before sending it in, and it's been over a year, now. Is there not some sort of administrative interface that will allow them to just change the card number associated with that label? I know my label will then be incorrect, but I'm willing to live with that, and I think it's better to have that than an incorrect card in my registry set.

My only other suggestion for the pop report is to make it free like the other graders. But seeing as they are going to reinstitute the cover charge for grading, I don't think they'll spring for that.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay