Home PSA Set Registry Forum

2004 National Convention Moving to Anaheim?

gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
I heard through the grapevine that the 2004 National is being moved to Anaheim. The claim is the promotors haven't been fully satisfied with the results of the past few east coast nationals which is the motivation for relocating it out west. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not putting too much stock into this until I start hearing it from multiple sources. All indications have been that next year's show will be in Clevelend.

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I heard through the grapevine that the 2004 National is being moved to Anaheim. The claim is the promotors haven't been fully satisfied with the results of the past few east coast nationals which is the motivation for relocating it out west. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not putting too much stock into this until I start hearing it from multiple sources. All indications have been that next year's show will be in Clevelend.

That should make VARGHA happyimage ...jay
  • crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    It was scheduled to be in Anaheim, then it was moved to Cleveland. I would be SHOCKED if that were changed this late...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this year's national in AC was the one originally scheduled for Anaheim.
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I still can't fathom why it's not in Las Vegas. It's not as if anyone needs a reason to go to Vegas, and a gigantic sportscard convention only makes it better!
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    John> This is from memory and a while back so I'm sure someone can confirm or correct this. . .

At the 2001 National in Cleveland, a vote among the dealers was taken VERY early in the show and they elected to move the 2004 National from Anaheim back to Cleveland.
    A LOT of dealers were highly upset because the vote was taken before half the dealers arrrived at the show. Later in the show, a re-vote was taken and it was still decided to move 2004 from Anaheim to Cleveland - but the vote was closer.

That's the last I'd heard of any of it until you mentioned it. Interesting.

Once again, here's my list of cities whic I think should be considered but never will be -

Indianapolis
    Cincinnatti
    St. Louis
    Denver
    Phoenix
    Las Vegas
    Seattle
    Portland
    Memphis/Nashville

Anyway. . .

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
    Thanks Mike. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. image The main problem with some of the cities you listed may be convention hall size. When I complained to the National committee about the show being moved away from the West Coast, they told me if I found a convention center with (going by memory...) 80,000 sq ft of continuous floor space, they would move the show back. I don't know if they were serious but there aren't too many convention centers that can offer this. I don't see why the entire show has to be in one room.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Yes Jay, that would make me very happy. It's about darned time that PSA started thinking more about me and saying the heck with the rest of those bozos.

Vegas would make alot of sense, however. Convention space is plentiful. Hotels are relatively cheap. Lastly, any convention or trade show that I have been to in Vegas was always the most heavily attended. Plus, it would squelch those vicious rumors about PSA bowing to every one of my wishes.
    John> If that's what they said, I think they're trying to feed you a steaming pile.

I spent a whole 10 minutes looking, and assuming a criteria of 80,000 square foot of continuous floor space I found suitable facilities in Portland, OR. . .Seattle, WA. . .and potentially in Indy.

AND. . .if they'd go to www.anaheimconventioncenter.com then they'd find the Anaheim Convention Center they'd find that Hall D is 221,000 of continuous exhibit space. . .Hall C is 155,000 sq ft. . .and Hall B is 147,000.

There are lots of facilities with more than 80,000 sq ft of continuous floor space, so that can't be an excuse. I understand that there may be scheduling and cost factors, but they have way too many options in other places for them to say they can only hold the National in Chicago, Cleveland, and Atlantic City. I just simply don't buy that those are the only places where a successful National can be held.

Mike
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Some info regarding the Cleveland IX Center:

I-X Center's Unique Features

Over one million square feet of contiguous exhibition and conference space.
    300,000 square feet of column-free space with ceiling heights ranging from a minimum of 55 feet to a maximum of 77 feet providing easy move in for heavy and oversized equipment.
    Newly renovated 85,000 square foot carpeted Conference Center with 26 meeting rooms.
    Beautiful 16,000 square foot ballroom used for receptions or any pre-function activities and seats up to 900.
    Full in-house food capabilities, including banquet and concession services.
    Comprehensive contractor services, including decorating, material handling, exhibitor services, and utilities.
    Wide Bandwidth, High Speed Internet Service Available Throughout the Facility.
    Convenient on-site labor union, reducing exhibitors' costs.
    Conveniently located only one mile south of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
    On-site parking for 10,000 vehicles, with 24-hour security surveillance.
    Secured on-site truck marshaling area and extensive crate storage.
    The World's Largest Indoor Ferris Wheel, spinning 125 feet - soaring 35 feet through the roof in a glass atrium.

John

<< <i>John> If that's what they said, I think they're trying to feed you a steaming pile.

I spent a whole 10 minutes looking, and assuming a criteria of 80,000 square foot of continuous floor space I found suitable facilities in Portland, OR. . .Seattle, WA. . .and potentially in Indy.

AND. . .if they'd go to www.anaheimconventioncenter.com then they'd find the Anaheim Convention Center they'd find that Hall D is 221,000 of continuous exhibit space. . .Hall C is 155,000 sq ft. . .and Hall B is 147,000.

There are lots of facilities with more than 80,000 sq ft of continuous floor space, so that can't be an excuse. I understand that there may be scheduling and cost factors, but they have way too many options in other places for them to say they can only hold the National in Chicago, Cleveland, and Atlantic City. I just simply don't buy that those are the only places where a successful National can be held.

Mike >>

I'll have to go back and check the email as the requirement may have been higher. You've already proven my memory stinks. imageimage

The Anaheim convention center met the criteria but there was some sort of conflict that caused them to move it. I'll try and remember to post the contents of their email this evening.
  • nortynorty Posts: 201
    I would doubt they would make dealers go through the booth selection process for Cleveland as it is configured, reserve hotel rooms for Cleveland and then move to Anaheim. Both booth selection and hotel booking took place this weekend in Atlantic City. (This is for King Kellogg....hey Larry, it's Booth 1220 in 2004....did I mention 1220).

I don't think it's about Convention Hall size (though that IS an issue), I think it is almost exclusively about collector base in an area (with a radius of about 300 miles), cost to rent the hall and for services within the hall. I am sure they also factor in how easy it is to get to the location, proximity to the airport, hotel availability etc.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • I hereby declare this rumor dead.

Skycap
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I live in Phoenix and I don't think there is anything here that compares to the IX Center. Kind of amazing considering we're the 6th largest city in the country. Also the other problem with Phoenix is that we are surrounded by hundreds of miles of desert in every direction with no other major cities within 300 miles (with the exception of Tucson). Plus has anybody been here in July? It's not quite a tropical climate, lol. Phoenix and other desert cities would serve a Superbowl card show better than a summer time card show, although Las Vegas would be an absolute blast. There are probably many factors that eliminate any particular city. Also, isn't the National's office based in Las Vegas? Wouldn't that make sense for them to do it in their own backyard? Some east coast dealers would make that special effort to go to Las Vegas that they would otherwise not to other boring west coast cities. East coast collectors would also. There must be some kind of tax or license technicality that prevents them from doing it in their own state. I'm guessing though.
  • How big is the Moscone Convention Center/Complex in San Francisco? They would be a nice city to visit!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
    Ron> I don't know off hand, but it's big enough to hold MacWorld Expo every year image

Mike
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Norty/Joe.
    What are the 2004 dates?

Oh yeah,
    The iX center really is a fine place for the show in my opinion.
    an easy plane ride for me (That 13 hour drive left me halucinting last time).
    Gotta get to the Jake and R&R HOF this time though.
    Cleveland is not that bad in the summer. Hotel Rates are dirt cheap (compared to most places). You are a mile away from the airport. (trust me..they where going to tear it down to build another runway!). It does the job...granted...Convention Centers (like Columbus, Ohio) are high end...but they do provide the continious floor space that the National needs/wants.

You are a quick 20 min highway drive to the Rock Hall...plus unlike the last 7 years..Jacobs Field will not be sold out..so you can walk right up and get tickets.

The only downside is that there is not alot to do in walking distance...as it is located in a light industrial/airport type area.

John

I would also say...that the IX Center rates are much less than Vegas.....that probably plays a big factor as well.

John
  • nortynorty Posts: 201
    Murcerfan:

Next year's National show dates in Cleveland are July 22-25. The official show dates are 7/19 to 25 but the dates before the 22nd are, I'm sure, other events associated with the show.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
    I reread the email from the National Committee and I was a tad bit off. They said 450,000 sq ft of continuous floor space.