Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1967 Topps Baseball # 12 Ranked Registry Set For Sale

Hey everyone, need to sell my # 12 ranked registry set all in 7's & 8's NQ. There are also 2 9's. It is under the title The Splendid Splinter's 1967 Set. There are 303 cards and a few doubles. Many high numbers in 8's & many low pops. This set has so much room to grow.

$7,000.00 firm, priced right at SMR

Send me an email at thesplendidsplinter@cox.net

Thanks for looking
Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Ted,

Call or email me.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Isn't a set from the 60's with predominantly7's and 8's a tad overpriced at straight SMR?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I guess it depends on how many "low pop" 8's are included in the set. I am not a 67 expert so I couldnt really tell from looking at the set.

John
  • Options
    Dave,

It depends if you're buying it as a collector or dealer. Assuming that you pay $3/card in shipping (maybe more with insurance)...it's probably a decent way for someone to start a 1967 set. I don't consider this deal a price gouge by any stretch. Is there 20-30% margin for a dealer to flip the set? Probably not.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    It is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Agreed, carew. But you know what I meant.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Dave, I think I see where you are going...

$7000 DIVIDED BY 303 cards EQUALS $23.10 per card

if you Subtract $3 for shipping on each card... it is approx.
    $20 Per Card which is about SMR averare for PSA 8
    but seems a bit on the High side for PSA 7.

imageimage
  • Options
    Good God BKAH! This set has Kaline, Maris, Stargell, Carlton, Aparicio, Frank Robinson, Aaron, a bunch of leader cards, Yaz, Hunter, Clemente, Niekro, Palmer, Norm Cash high number, Belanger Rookie, Colavito, Red Sox Team, ALL IN PSA 8 and a Giants Team in PSA 9. (and Mantle in PSA 7)

I am floored by your in depth analysis.

Is the price high?...compared to what??? The lot of 1967 cards that sold in Superiors garnered the highest % relative to SMR of most any lot sold. Most dealers pay around 70% of SMR. Somewhere between 70-100% is fair market. The more time you can spend breaking it up...the closer to 100% you should achieve.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    As someone who knows a little (very little) about the 67 set, I'll say SMR is not exactly the best reference point. Also, considering that 1/4 to 1/3 of this set used to be mine, I know these were modern graded cards with few sliders if any. In fact, I'd like to think there are a lot of screwballs here--cards where the submitter got screwed on cards that could easily have been 8's (Grader of Death in effect). The price is not cheap, but as Alan pointed out--there are all those superstars in 8. Good luck (and may the G.O.D. be on vacation when I resubmit 2 cards).image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

In my experience I have found that it is pretty easy to find 60's superstars for under SMR.

John
  • Options
    Geez everyone! Let's not get so uptight. We'll see what happens. My prediction is that it won't garner SMR as a whole and may be better off being broken up for individual sale, with the remainder being auctioned as a group.
  • Options
    David,

My backsides so tight that I can't pass gas. But enough about my personal problems.

I don't disagree that most people aren't going to pay full SMR for the entire lot.

My point was that coming up with an average price per card was a bunch of hooey.

I would submit to you that if the superstars that I noted were high end, that SMR is not out of the question (lot or no lot). I personally spoke with a dealer who paid well over SMR to Levi for a 1960's superstar that he needed for a set.

My second point is: Most people haven't seen the cards...and it would appear from some of the posts that some people replying don't even know what's included in the lot.

Make sense? Hope this clears things up.

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    Alan, ufortunately in my family, passing gas is no problem whatsoever. My 11 year old daughter thinks it is one of the funniest things around.
  • Options
    David,

If it's not the funniest...it's right up near the top. (unless you are in my situation and then it slips down the list a little bit)

Regards,

Alan
  • Options

<< <i>). I personally spoke with a dealer who paid well over SMR to Levi for a 1960's superstar that he needed for a set. >>

Which card? I do not want the buyers name...just the name of the card. Also....what grade was it in...that factors in as well.

John
  • Options
    I believe he said it was a 1966 Mantle 8.

If you're buying from Levi...you're not looking to spend a % of SMR...you're looking at 100 plus a %.

Regards,

Alan

• Options

I was thinking it may have been a 1966 Topps Willie Mays #1. The SMR for the Mantle is only $500....that seems pretty low...since the 1965 Mantle SMRs for $1k.

John

• Options
    Why the hostility towards a collector trying to get SMR on a collection of cards? When you guys sell cards wouldn't you at least try to get the same kinda price. Just because you don't want to buy doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to somebody else. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable price if it's what you want and don't want to go to the hassle of buying 303 Ebay lots with $1000 in shipping and hopefuly no ripoffs. How much could you really save putting it together a card at a time? What would make everybody happy...The guy coming on here and asking for a % of raw Beckett high column. Sharks!
  • Options
    Cardbroad,

Nail, head, hammer.

BTW-Will you marry me?

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Grader of Death, has anybody got hit by him lately? I haven't got one from him in about 6 months and I haven't seen the normal grumblings lately. Hopefully either PSA fired him or had a sit down talk with him (or her). I know he existed at some point because all of us would get that one batch back that was obviously way off base but it doesn't seem to be happening any more. If that's the case, then it means that there are a lot of PSA graded cards out there that are suitable for resubmission.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    If I had $7,000 available right now, I'd buy it. No problem. No questions asked. $23.10 per card (as BKAH points out) for a lot including all of those high grade stars ... Great deal. image

I also agree that it would end up saving $500 - $1000 on s&h over the long haul if you bought these cards one at a time.

Ted, would you be willing to agree to a payment plan of say $50/month for 140 months? image

JEB.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I bought the 2 1964 lots from Superior and that was all 8's. It included a bunch of stars including Koufax,Clememte and others. I paid 62% of SMR at an average cost of about $29 per card. I dont know much about 67's but deduct the stars SMR and come up with a price per card for the commons.
  • Options
    Cardbroad, thanks for saying it for me. image

Virtual, the best I can do is $75 a month for 93 months & 2 weeks. image

1/2 of one of the best baseball sets in history is not a bad item.

Eric & Alan, thanks for the good words. As Eric said, many of them are undergraded. The Yaz is without a doubt a strong 9. Someone will be very pleased with the cards.

Thanks

Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Steve:

I've been overall happy with my grades lately -- even on the crossover service. I often think that the 1955 Bowman set is always assigned to the grader of death -- but I just tend to think it is a tough set graded very conservatively (and fairly consistently). Myself, Davalillo, Zardoz and numerous others have all missed expectations on some of our 1955 Bowman baseball submissions. Oh well -- makes it more fun to find the elusive 8s, I guess.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.