Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Crossover - SGC bias?

FYI

In the past few months I sent a number of SGC-graded vintage and modern cards to be re-graded via PSA's "crossover" service. All were SGC grades that theoretically had equal even-number PSA equivalents, and all were graded by SGC at either 8, 9 or 10. To safeguard the value, I used the "minimum grade" option set at their PSA equivalency so that they wouldn't come back at a lower grade. Of the approximately 50 cards sent in, about 90% came back ungraded for failing to meet the minimum grade set. A few came back with equal PSA grades, and one came in higher (SGC 96 to a PSA 10).

Just to test a theory, I cracked open about 15 SGC 96's and sent them in for grading by PSA. All came back 9's except for 2, and they came back PSA 10!!!

Not sure if this proves anything, but you can bet that I won't be sending anymore crossovers.
Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection

Comments

• Options
    i dont like the crossover service, mainly because in my opinion psa wouldnt want to cross over most of the cards to the same grade. why would psa indirectly state that their competitors are just as good as they are when it comes to grading? also, i seriously doubt they can grade a card accurately when its stuck in a slab.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I have always had a suspicion that PSA has an unwritten "bias" against SGC slabbed cards.
  • Options
    <<SGC bias?>>>

...Duh! The bias isn't even a carefully guarded secret. The only way to get a fair shake is to crack 'em. It's not a PSA trait, just human nature. FYI, SGC is equally tough on PSA graded cards. You'd be lucky to cross 20% of your PSA 9's in the holder...just the way it is.
    Pinchdatail, it sounds like you have a handle on the cards you purchase in other holders and submit them accordingly. Good for you.

Goodriddance,
    Good point about grading the card in another slab. Sheet-cuts can be hard to discern as well as surface flaws, alterations, etc. Faint spider wrinkles on the reverse can be hard to find without proper angles and lighting...in the holder that can be a challenge.

dgf
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    My experience with the crossover service:

Over 50% success -- trying to cross over nearly all MINT and GEM MINT examples from more than one grading company. (e.g. SGC, and a bunch of oddballs, including PRO, CTA and others from their grading infancy days).

Additionally, got at least one SGC 92 to cross over to PSA 9.

As for the ones that did not cross over -- I think that the vast majority of them are a) overgraded slightly [still was worth the try] and/or b) otherwise questionable. Believe it or not, the PRO card crossed over fine, which was my expectation. Nonetheless, I have quite a few SGC 98 cards that I would not feel comfortable in PSA 10 holders -- and a few SGC 96/92/lesser that seem generously graded.

Finally, let me ask if your experiiment was subject to only one set? The grading services are different and in no way ever claim to grade the same cards the same way. There are certainly nuances, for example, in 1955 Bowman baseball, where one service might grade a card more generously/conservatively than the other.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    downgoesfrazier -- I agree that it likely cuts both ways.
  • Options
    No brainer.

Besides, a card can be more closely examined out of the holder.

Not that there is any prejudice between the grading companies. Hahahahahahahahahahaha
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    zardoz -- I understand that your grading company holds no such biases.
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    Just to add my two cents ..... with an n=4
    Every SGC card crossed directly to the psa equal.

I have only submitted 1 invoice for cross -

1968 Carlton SGC 96 - PSA 9
    1961 Golden Press Traynor SGC 96 - PSA 9
    1951 Blue Back Ashburn SGC 88 - PSA 8
    1963 Mantle SCG 88 - PSA 8

I would have no hesitation submitting additional cross-overs;
    But as always - look at the card; not the holder - before making cross-over decisions!
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals