Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA collectors....don't do this.....

Sending in a decent coin for certification is one thing; perhaps certification can help you sell the coin for a higher price. But what does getting a GSA coin certified MS61 do for you? Nothing.

You're only sharing your money with the grading service.

JMHO.

GSAGUY

Not wise

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Thanks APN! A computer jockey I'm not!image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I couls see it on a toner or a high grade where there is a big difference in price acording to the number on the plastic @ sale time but on a no-brainer low grade like that I agree.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    $420 BIN? image For that kind of money you could find a nice 64 without the GSA pedigree.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Kinda applies to any coin valued less than $100 doesn't it?
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gsaguy, I have a question for you. As you know I like collecting the Gsa CC Morgans. With NGC grading these in the holders, and I can only assume PCGS will follow this..... Do you have less people sending you these to buy? And are they lower end pieces?

I'm asking this because I talked to another major market maker in the industry and he said the ones that get sent to him these days are the real dogs. Mainly because of folks "Trying" to get bigger money having NGC grade them in the holders.

The obvious being.... through the years he would put adds in the coin mags for certain buy prices, and many times receiving higher grade coins for the lower buy prices. In other words he could make a killing once in a while. I know for a fact from previous experience you are very fair when buying and selling. Just wondering if the market has changed for you with the changes of certification?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    STMAN,

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to the 'market-makers' in GSA's. They've always posted buy prices for minimum grade coins and received mostly that. However, every once in a while they'd hit a home run with a monster.

Even without the new NGC grading policy I'm sure that the volume of those 'hits' has been dwindling over the years. But you're right, I suspect they'll receive even fewer now.

As for my trading in the GSA coins, I've never advertised myself as a market maker in these coins. My specialty has always been handling above average pieces....bright white, toned, DMPL's, better date, etc. If a collector or dealer is looking for a specific CC date in a specific grade, I've often got it in stock.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Thanks Gsadudeimage BTW, Those coins I sent you weren't too junky were they?image
  • Options
    STMAN,

They were all cool coins....especially one of them!image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    GSAGuy- hmmmm, oh boy. Which one.....image

BTW .Whats a `85 CC White in GSA holder going for these days.
    I willed mine before I knew what it was.....can you believe that?
    I,m learning all about coins....tha hard way. image
  • Options
    Cam40,

White GSA 1885-CC go for about $350 and up depending on the grade.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    That doesnt sound too bad ya know, considering the ultra-low mintage and all.

Thanks for the info `gsadude` image
  • Options
    edited to wish someone a happy 50th imageimage
  • Options
    The 85-CC might have had a low mintage, but the problem is there were over 130,000 uncirculated examples in the GSA hoard.
  • Options
    I guess thats why they seem so reasonably priced.
    Still sounds good to me. I know the value will keep on a goin up on those
    through the years. I,d say it is a great `investment coin` if you ask me.
    but....i aint the sharpest tool in the shed so, take it for what its worth.

Investment coin? Ya or Nay.

• Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any Carson City Morgans right now as an "investment". If you are building the set and need the coins, then you won't worry about price corrections. I see a major correction in CC's in the near future.
  • Options
    Cam 40... I like the Gsa's and I don't feel you can go wrong with them. I never have, and come to think of it I'm only a collector, but the Gsa's are some of the only coins I have made a few dollars on. They are always in demand and are just like cash IMO.
  • Options
    major correction? ouch. hope it aint too major for CC Dollar collectors sake.

I feel the `16 D Dimes and `77 IHCs need a major correction, NOT CC Dollars.

• Options
    You're probably safe with the 78 and 80-85 issues. There are some dates that have become way too high for their populations. The 90-CC is one. You probably won't be at much risk with higher grade GSA's.
  • Options
    All I can say is I've watched, bought and sold the Gsa cc Morgans for roughly 20 years. What I like about their price increases is they have been gradual and steady. Slow but sure is what I really mean. Guess I'm getting old (and grumpier) I remember buying common dates for 50.00. I have seen a faster increase in price the last year or so. Gsaguy will probably be along and he can either verify what I've said... or slap me down. Either way is cool with me.image
  • Options
    Ya I just wish I,d have known then when my Dad bought a couple in the late 70s, to, PLEASE DAD, YOU GOTTA BUY AS MANY AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN NOW. YOU WONT BE SORRY I,M SURE, line.
    But ,I wasnt into coins then. He only bought em for a Christmas present to go along with annual proof sets for us kids.

Where that time machine!!!! image
  • Options
    BTW I think he said he paid like $30 each for them. An `84 CC and an `85 CC........Man!!! an `1885 CC for thrty bucks?
    Damn it!!!!! image
  • Options
    STMAN,

I do have to agree with you to a certain degree....especially when it comes to higher grade pieces. However, there have been some fluctuations.

When I first started buying GSA coins, the base grade pieces were trading at about $100. They fluctuated for a while and then declined all the way to about $45 in about 1994 (haven't reviewed my records so please don't hold me to that date).

From that bottom, the rise has been slow and steady.

As for high grade pieces, they've only gone up in my estimation.

GSAGUY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file