Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any tips on sending proof coins to PCGS?

What is the safest way to package modern silver proof coins to send to PCGS?
It seems to me that those plastic flips can damage the appearance of them after a week of handling by the USPS! Can they be submitted in the original plastic capsules? Thanks, BBC...

Comments

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Keep them in the plastic holders and then put them in the saf-flips. I have submitted proofs like this before and have had no problems, not to mention no fingerprints.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they can be submitted in the original mint packaging. But, PCGS still likes the capsules inserted in a flip. For proof coins, use only ET Kointainer brand SAFLIPS.

Russ, NCNE
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Chad

whether they are in the original mint capsules or a flip, its a good idea to use something like a safe-t-mailer in addition. it helps stop them from sliding around and adds a little padding. try them at www.safetymailer.com.

al h.image

• I sent some Modern Commemorative proofs to PCGS and put them in poly bags then put them in the plastic flips. I thought that would help preserve the cameo finish. They came back with some spots that weren't on them prior to mailing them. Live & learn I guess!
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I submit them in the mint plastic capsule, but don't bother putting them in a flip. They do that for me and it makes them easier to ship (inside padded envelopes packed in a USPS Priority Mailer)

I've never had any complaint or problems from PCGS about it. Even though I worry that I would use gloves to open them up and I know PCGS doesn't and I think I'd take more care in opening them then they would.

But I've have a few come back as 70's so I'll stick with what works for me.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

<< <i>put them in poly bags then put them in the plastic flips. >>

Never use polybags. Once I stopped using them and switched to SAFLIPS only, I haven't had even the slightest problem with proof coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Once I stopped using them and switched to SAFLIPS only

Where can you purcahse these Saflips at? I am thinking about possibly subitting a coin or two sometime, and don't want anything to happen to them.
    There are quite a few places that carry them.

Here's where I get mine.

Item #ETK-SF25-100, the 2.5x2.5 size.

Russ, NCNE
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>Where can you purcahse these Saflips at? >>

PCGS also sells them in packs of 50 for $10
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where can you purcahse these Saflips at? >>

PCGS also sells them in packs of 50 for $10 >>

PCGS also gives them away when you submit at any major coin show.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • I wish I had known that the coins could be submitted in the original capsules before I removed them. What about Mint proof sets? For instance, can the 5 coin statehood quarter set be submitted in the original case?

<< <i>What about Mint proof sets? For instance, can the 5 coin statehood quarter set be submitted in the original case? >>

Yes.

Russ, NCNE
  • JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭
    Curious...why doesn't PCGS use gloves when they handle the coins? Is there a reason for this?

I love coins...image

• << <i>

<< <i>What about Mint proof sets? For instance, can the 5 coin statehood quarter set be submitted in the original case? >>

Yes.

Russ, NCNE >>

How would one go about submitting a set like that? How would you number each coin?
    You don't have to number the coins on the coins themselves. PCGS will figure out that the line that has the coin # and says 1c on it corresponds to the correct Lincoln, etc, etc.

Russ, NCNE
  • Thanks Russ, YOU ARE THE MAN!
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭

<< <i>put them in poly bags then put them in the plastic flips >>

a foam pack over that and you'll have a PCGS bodybag

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • I used to submit in Mint Capsules before I found that all the original packaging can be quite a selling feature. Now I send in Airtites!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • JoshL, Less chance of dropping the coin!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How would one go about submitting a set like that? How would you number each coin? >>

Black Sharpe marker, write the number on the coin itself! That way PCGS won't get confused!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• critocrito Posts: 1,735
    PCGS won't send the mint packaging back... and I've seen peeps here sell empty 1999 boxes for $30 on eBay image I've used SuperSafe brand flips exclusively and have never had any problems with hazing BTW. They come in pages you have to tear apart. No oil in them, but they can be a little brittle. Newer ones are thicker at the crease.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as crito said, the Supersafe flips are good but a bit stiff. the flexible ones Russ mentioned are good, also. i've used both with no ill effects. one note on sending mint/proof sets in. PCGS will only accept them in that fashion if you're having the entire set graded. you couldn't send a 1999 proof set intact and ask them to certify only 1 or 2 coins. it's all or nothing that way.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file