Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can someone post a picture of the 1914/3 (P or D) Buffalo?

With one prerequisite: please make it large enough to see the error.

Thanks a lot -

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Here is a photo of what Heritage called the finest known. You can barely see part of the flat top of the three along with the angle on the upper-right side of the 4.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
  • Options
    Better Look!!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I asked the question out of curiousity as my understanding of this error was that it is difficult to see.

Do you Buffalo collectors consider this to be just as 'legitimate' an error as the 1916 Double Die and the 18/17?

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think that most Buff guys would say `absolutely`. However, that may not have always been the case.
    I dont really know but looking back at old `77 Redbook this variety isnt listed, but the 8/7 `18 D is.
    I wonder WHEN it (4/3 variety) was first listed in Redbook.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't know when it was first listed in the Red Book, but Heritage's site says:

<< <i>The 1914/3 Nickel remained undiscovered until 1996, 82 years after being produced. The initial discovery coin was found by R. A. Medina, who submitted his coin to Bill Fivaz as his entry in a contest initiated by Fivaz and sponsored through CONECA. Later that year a more distinctive example was found by Roger Alexander from a less worn state of the dies. That coin was definitely confirmed as an overdate by Bill Fivaz and NGC encapsulated it after David Lange also confirmed the coin had a 3 underdigit. Just a couple of months later, in March 1997, Austin-based dealer Coleman Foster found an MS63 example while examining bulk lots of coins that had accumulated in the Heritage safes over the previous six months. He alerted Heritage President Gregory J. Rohan to the discovery, and Greg gratefully pulled the coin from the bulk lot, placed it in the June Long Beach Sale where it brought $11,788. Heritage and Mr. Foster split the proceeds from the sale of this coin, which was the first 1914/3 ever offered at public auction. In June of 2002 an MS65 example that was struck from a later die state sold in Heritage's June Long Beach Sale for $63,250. >>

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file