Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you make of this Washington MM?

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
Today I stumbled onto a 68 proof set with an unusual quarter. The area around the mintmark suggests an RPM, and the quarter has pretty obvious MDD. Just wondering if one of you with the quarter book would mind a quick look?

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really isn't a quarter book. Fiegenbaum mostly just stops at 1964. The Cherrypickers
    Guide doesn't list it, and Wexler/Flynn only covers the double dies. There is a DDO for this coin
    but this one doesn't appear to be it. I have seen this before but can't really make heads or
    tails of it and haven't pursued it. You might consider contacting one of the experts directly.
    JT Stanton intends to be doing a work on some of the major varieties, perhaps he'll be familiar
    with it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks CK. It isn't a doubled-die. The machine doubling is just interesting on a proof, but Coneca lists three different 68-S proof RPM's and I was hoping Dr.Wiles book might have illustrations. It appears to be south orientation, and there is a large polished area around the new mintmark. Probably not rare or valuable, but pretty interesting.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file