Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

San Francisco area

Are there any nice coin shops in the San Fransisco? Preferably in the downtown area?

Comments

• Options
    TTT
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Does anyone know any good shops in the Louisville, Kentucky area?

Posted in this thread so I didn't have to start up another one.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Stay out of my thread!!! image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I have spent much time in Downtown SanFranciso and China Town, went to Alcatraz Island..... but I never looked for a coin store... I'm wanting a answer as well....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Witter Coins, in the Hobart building, 482 Market Street, right down town. Best store ever!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Downtown San Franciso has one of the highest rent districts in the country, so I'm not sure you'll find anything real cheap.

Where else can you park for $18 a day?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    $18/day is EXACTLY what the Pier 5 hotel in Baltimore, host to the Heritage and ANR auctions, charges for parking. Ouch!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    We are walking most places. Who else has better to witter coin shop?
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Hi. I always take BART (Bay area rapid transit) there so I never drive (I have actually never driven in the city). He's open M-F 11-4. You're right about the high rent, I think he muttered one time he doesn't make much because of the rent. His prices are firm and mostly full retail but the coins are strictly graded and always well worth the price. I don't think I've ever been unhappy with any coin I've ever got there (I bought out most of his uncirculated Indian and Lincoln Cents, including a 14-d). Most recently I got an 1803 Cent and 1805 quarter in Fine, both completely original nice looking coins for the grade.
  • Options
    If you havent been to San Francisco in a while you might be surprised. Rents have been falling due to high unemployment. Are you sure that shop is still there?

BTW, I think L.A. has those parking fees beat!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    You can park in the Sutter-Stockton Garage for $2 for the first hour or two, then it goes up to $4. Price escalates the longer you stay longer.

Seth Chandler recently had a post about his experience at Witter. He found that Witter had nice coins but all prices are fixed. And he cracks out coins and resells them raw. Go figure. You can use the search feature to find Seth's post or pm him.

CG
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    LA, especially Century City and downtown-- parking is $24 to 28 for the day. AND they search your trunk, look under your car and check your ID (like a terrorist wouldn't want to risk having a phoney ID).
    DSW
  • Options
    I second Witter coins on Market, I go there all the time. As a matter of fact I just left there.

matt
    "the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file