Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade this 1903-S $5 Coronet

Alright guys, I am an amateur at this stuff and this is really my first time posting a picture to the boards so here goes. If it's too big or doesn't work, please don't flame me! I'm just learning.

Edited, the files are just too darn big. Can someone tell me how to use html in this forum to reduce the size of the images or is that not possible?

Comments

• mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    WOW! Never tried to grade a coin where you could see the pores on liberty's face!image

Beautiful detail on the stars, hair, and eagle's head and feathers. Some glare though on the hair. If that's light rub I'm saying AU58. Got a few digs and some fairly regular hairlines in the reverse fields.

But I suck at grading gold.

MOJO
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • I cant see it. image
  • Here are the pics.
    imageimage
  • Thanks klector.
  • NP
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64...

For future reference, shoot outside of any holder if possible... in this case, the luster I'm assuming exists is very subdued.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Jeremy,

Actually the luster is booming on this coin. I'm just a terrible photographer and I took it under a lot of glare coming in through the windows. I live on the beach, really hard to get rid of outside light!
  • I forgot to guess. image I'll call it AU-58 I'm pretty sure thats wear on the hair if there wasnt anywear it would be a 62-63.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Hi Brian, thats a nice looking coin but the obverse picture is not clear enough to give an accurate grade. I can see some diagonal hairlines behind liberty's head and that will not help the grade. Are there more of these in front of liberty? mike image
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

AU-58 or MS-62 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • RBB617RBB617 Posts: 498 ✭✭
    Based on my experience with early 20th century gold, I'd say the coin is between an MS63 and MS64. There seems to be some chatter on the obverse and a couple of dings on the reverse, unless those are on the holder not the coin. The strike looks pretty good. I'm just guessing, but based on the way the light hits the coin, it appears that the luster is pretty strong. This is a nice coin.
    Brian
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS detail, possibly cleaned.

a h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file