Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Transcripts of Joe's Q & A

Does anyone have them?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think there was a recorder present. It was just an extemporaneous Q & A after his prepared comments.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I was using the word "transcripts" in a tounge-and-cheek manner (lol)....I was just wondering if anyone remembered some of the questions and what Joe's replies were?

Carlos

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I remember one significant question. Someone asked if PSA gives preferential treatment to certain dealers on grades. I can't remember Joe's exact answer, but it was clearly "NO", and he added something to the effect that it would foolish for them to do such a thing since their reputation in the industry is based on their integrity. Why would the industy leader risk destroying it's business doing a thing like that?

(edited for spelling)
  • Options

<< <i>I remember one significant question. Someone asked if PSA gives preferential treatment to certain dealers on grades. I can't remember Joe's exact answer, but it was clearly "NO", and he added something to the effect that it would foolish for them to do such a thing since their reputation in the industy is based on their integrity. Why would the industy leader risk destroying it's business doing a thing like that? >>

this is the argument i use every time people bring up the "preferential grade" theory.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Did anyone ask a question regarding the mandatory membership after Sept 1st in order to submit cards?

If so...what was their answer?

Also..did anyone ask them when/if they are going to introduce ticket grading to the hobby?

And....did anyone ask them what steps are being taken to keep the SMR up to date?

John

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Ticket grading is here. there was a tremendous run of super bowl tickets in the new holders on display at the PSA booth, along with some T-3's which (along with other similarly sized cabinet cards) are also being holdered in the new slab. I did not see a new/special invoice for them though.

One thing Joe mentioned was a new holder design which has been in the works (even before WIWAG), apparently it is thicker in order to accomodate these things being produced by slicing up important artifacts like Babe Ruth bats and such. The details were sketchy, as was the muffled groan from the crowd.

On a positive note, Joe affirmed that once the registry is up to full speed, a re-examination of wieghting would liklely be appropriate for many sets............. heads nodding in agreement.

Joe also mentioned that Bazookas and similar cut-out cards are now being slabbed, but with a notation on the "variety" line that will say "Hand Cut".

• Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

John,

The closest thing I heard to an SMR price question was..."Why do some sets have all +'s, even when no cards are sold or available."

The response (to the best of my recollection)...The SMR is a work in progress, and many sets that were originally priced at a certain level, are slowly being corrected to more accurate levels. With sets that have little activity at the PSA 8 or 9 level or none graded at that level, dealers and collectors are asked for a ballpark figure of what they would expect to charge/pay for that card should it come up. Joe also reiterated their willingness to receive pricing updates from the collectors in their specialty set(s).

There was more to it, but that's all I can remember.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember one significant question. Someone asked if PSA gives preferential treatment to certain dealers on grades. I can't remember Joe's exact answer, but it was clearly "NO", and he added something to the effect that it would foolish for them to do such a thing since their reputation in the industy is based on their integrity. Why would the industy leader risk destroying it's business doing a thing like that? >>

This has been claimed by some as a fact, yet nobody has ever produced a shred of evidence that it is true. I don't even recall a specific example quoted (even with no proof).

By the way, were there any questions about WIWAG during the Q&A?
  • Options

<< <i>Did anyone ask a question regarding the mandatory membership after Sept 1st in order to submit cards? >>

it is hard to believe that no one asked about this. someone had to find out about this somehow or at least complain about it resulting in some type of psa response. please post what they said or did about this at national if you kinow.
  • Options
    Some did ask about the mandatory membership to grade cards with psa but unfortunately I couldn't hear the answer. (I was in the back of the room and it got noisy about then) I'm not too upset about the membership so it really wasn't that important to me. Overall I was in agreement with everything Joe said and he addressed everything very well.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I can't recall anyone at the lunch asking about the mandatory membership. As I am a member (and will continue to be), I cannot fathom why it would matter to me too much.

As for ticket grading, I had the great privilege to meet and speak with Brian Seigel, noted owner of an amazing run of baseball cards and memorabilia. He showed to me two very interesting items: 1913 World Series ticket stubs, both PSA graded. One, slightly torn near the bottom, was graded "Authentic". Another was graded PSA 4 VG-EX. Beautiful tickets, remiscent of the Philadelphia Athletics efforts nearly 90 years ago. Very neat looking items, and I believe it is an exciting and promising venture for PSA.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    One other noted question:

Member of Luncheon "Joe -- do you still collect cards?"

Joe: "Yes, and they are all PSA 10's", causing an uproar of laughter throughout the room. Joe went on to talk about the last two cards he owned (including a 1934 Goudey Gehrig PSA 8), as well as explain his personal decision to sell his collection to avoid any future potential conflicts of interest, whether real or perceived. He loves sportscards, loves talking about them, and clearly focuses all of the energy he used to put into building his collection into making PSA a better, more accurate and efficient organization for collectors, dealers and all others.

MS

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Carkim,

We did not have alot of time to ask questions. Joe's responses were relatively long and it did not help that several members (myself included) asked follow-up questions after their original questions were answered. I was one of the last participants to ask a question which pertained to unopened pack grading. However, I was interrupted when Joe & the CEO were discussing when the CEO should step up and speak. Joe did answer my question and basically replied that there were no immediate plans for pack grading due to the challenges involved and the lack of a clear market. Frankly, I believe the whole group would have benefited from more Q&A with BJ and Joe rather than the CEO remarks. The CEO was a great guy, but speaking with Joe Orlando and BJ Searls was more valuable for the audience in my opinion.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.