Home U.S. Coin Forum

Collection inventory program???? What programs or methods do you use?

After taking inventory by pen and paper for the umteenth time, I was thinking that there must be a better way. My collection of coins is not terribly large,but it does contain a lot of small and numerous items. After selling and buying for about a couple of months,this gets very time comsuming. Yeah, I know, do the bookwork when the items come and go. Good idea,but with a job and three kids it sometimes doesn't get done. Which leads me to my question. What do some of you do? Is the pen and paper your method; computer programs? (if so,what one do you like?); or do some of you not care about every low value coin or slab in your safe? A deep subject for a rainy Maine day! Thanks folks.

Enjoy them coins!image
"so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
Thomas Aldrich

Comments

• excel spreadsheet ~ Year, Mint Mark, Serial Number/Status, Grade ~ under Serial Number/Status I list the cert. # or where the coin is currently, in safe, PCGS, etc...
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I use coin elite, and I have found that it is about the easiest to use. The only real difficulty I ever had with it was when I tried to import the backup file after I reformatted my hard drive. Even then it wasn't all that difficult.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • I use Coins Explorer... The format is a lot like the Windows Explorer and it is very easy to use. You can import the pics of your coins and add and subtract from the data base. It is tied to ebay so you can enter the item number and it will glean the info you paid for the coin, pics and other info into the database for you. You can also enter books and other info into the database and make your own price sheet. All in all, a very good program. I paid 29.00 for it and it included the price index updates and when you go to look for a coin (ex 1909 Indian Head Cent) in ebay..a price list pops up and will show you the latest bid prices that were on ebay for that particular coin.

• CoinManage2003
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I too have a job and three kids (and a 45 minute commute). But I've concluded that keeping records is VERY important and worth the time.

Excell is an great way for me to keep track of my collection and I must confess I enjoy adding new lines to my Excell spreadsheet almost as much as adding coins to my collection.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Here is a link for a free trial:
    Coins Explorer Software
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    i use Coin Elite(WWW.trovesoftware.com) for all my inventoty and records. I also use Excel for other spread sheets.
  • NumisExpert is the only one I've used so far, and if it continues to work as well as it has to this pont, it's the only one I will use.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to pay for a program. the Heritage website also has a pretty good inventory system. The nice thing about there system, is that it gives you a current trend on values so you get an idea what your collection is worth.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    I'm also cheap and use Heritage's "My Collection" to keep track of my coins. You can download it into a spreadsheet and turn it into a database of your choosing; if you are computer savy.
  • SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I use good ol' Excel. I use Excel a lot at work, so there was no learning curve. It's a great, simple database tool. I have separate tabs for each series I collect, along with my want list, and a record of coins sold. I even use pivot tables to summarize what I've collected so far, for example how many coins by grade, price range, dealer, etc. I suppose the dedicated coin inventory software programs are more full featured, but it's tough to beat Excel for basic coin inventory management.
    Bill
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I just use a good old spiral notebook. I love drawing out charts and graphs myself with a pencil and paper. I have a huge chart, dates 1900-2003 going down the left, and 6 sets (one for each denomination) of 3 columns labeled P,D,S. I blacked out coins that do not exist like a 1933 quarter, and added extra rows for varieties (like 2 1909 rows, 2 1913 rows, 2 1917 rows), and then I have a check mark in the spot for any 20th century coins I own!
  • I have a database program on my palm which has worked out great. You can carry it to coin shows, and it's very easy to use.

Kyle
  • Thanks to all who replied. You have given me a lot of good leads to follow up on! image
    "so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
    Thomas Aldrich
  • I made myself a database using Microsoft Access. Once you get familiar with it, the program is fairly easy to use and I can import all my data if need be into a Word document or an excel spreadsheet. The best part about it is that I can avoid having to type in redundant data. My main computer is down right now for an upgrade, but when I get her back up and running I will a link the database.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I use PCGSs bodybag and AU58 collection software!!! Keeps track of all those bodybags and all of those AU58s they send you back!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Excel all the way!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file