Home U.S. Coin Forum

One of 5 known, pedigreed to Norweb, over 300 years old: $8,338

Seems kind of cheap to me -

The photo is lousy, by the way, as the coin is a beautiful, natural light brown color in person.

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty!!! And because it DOESN'T MATTER, no one ask its grade!!!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just downright cool. I've always wanted an elephant token. It is a cool piece of americana. Thanks for the pic.
  • CCU, thanks for the image. For all of you who collect Elephant Tokens by variety, this is the EXTREMELY rare "sword in the second quadrant of sheild" variety. I was wondering what CCU meant by "one of 5 known" and didn't notice until I looked it up. Yes, I agree that $8,338 is cheap. Were the serious buyers holding out for the Stack's sale this October??
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone was holding out, nor do I think this coin slipped through the cracks. Everyone saw it, had the opportunity to bid and stopped at $8,338.

This is, apparently, the current state of the market for extremely rare varieties of some colonial series.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Actually that one is not a piece of Americana.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually that one is not a piece of Americana. >>

And thats probably why the price is what it is.

This is one of those coins that it is in the American series 'by association' - the Carolina and New England Elephant tokens (same obverse as the coin shown above - different reverses) have the obvious and direct connection to the colonies and are legitimately part of the American series.

The coin above is from a shared obverse die and is associated with those coins - though they were struck in England and it is highly unlikely they ever circulated in meaningful numbers in the colonies.

Even so, they have been collected as part of the American series for years as evidenced by their inclusion in the Redbook.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file