Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just bought a new digital camera

I just bought an Olympus C-4000 online tonight at B&H Photo. It's mainly for family pictures (my wife is watching me type this). But I will also do some coin photography with it. It was kind of an impulse buy, but I've wanted a digital for a long time and I like the features in the Olympus. The online reviews were very good too. Anyone have this camera and use it for coin photos...I mean family photos?
Bill

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the camera for family photos, when you are allowed to use it for coins, you'll have to post some for us.image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I use the c-3000 which is pretty much last years model but mine will only go to 8 inches for the macro so I bought a macro lens and it does fine. You macro feature is something like 2 inches from the object which is plenty good enough.

Mine does double duty also and you will be happy with it.
  • Options
    Ditto on the C-3000 with the Macro Lens here and I second what JB said. Right now I am thinking of upgrading to the C-5050.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Yep, that is the one I use. I love it. It takes real nice photos. You have to mess with lighting to get the coin pictures right but it takes awesome family pictures. Use the link in my signature line to see the coin pictures I have taken with it.

You will enjoy it.

Lori image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impluse buy and digital camera don't go together... but you've made a good choice.

I was considering that one, but chose against it in the end... still a fine machine, but for my uses it didn't fully match my requirements.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    That is the camera that I have been using. I really like all of the features that it has.image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking at that one and really like it, but haven't forked over the dollars for it yet. I will probably do so in the coming half year.

Nice purchase, I hope you enjoy and take lots of pictures of your favorite subjects, no matter if they are animate or inanimate.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I also just bought a digital camera.

I'm poor, though, so I had to get this one.

SDCollector,

While you shopping at B&H, you might want to also grab a copy stand. Great for shotting coins.

Click here for a nice cheap one.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Impluse buy and digital camera don't go together... but you've made a good choice. I was considering that one, but chose against it in the end... still a fine machine, but for my uses it didn't fully match my requirements. Jeremy >>

Come on. NO camera can "see" through womens clothing. . . image

peacockcoins

• Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. The reviews on the C-4000 were all positive, except for the lens cap of all things image.

I've been thinking for months about buying a digital...I have a bias towards film. So it wasn't entirely an impulse buy, but I usually do a bit more research before a purchase like this.

Lori, great coin pics. What technique do use?

What are the best websites for learning coin photography?
    Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file