Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My new 58-P in 67RD now in Dpoole's collection - congrats David

David purchased my 67RD 58-P that I recently made. I worked very hard to make this coin. Honestly I had wanted to make 2 so I could keep one and sell one. I could only make 1 67RD out of nearly 40 submissions so I had to sell this one. I have the #2 coin in my set but is still in a 66RD holder. David has a great picture of the coin up already in his set. I was sad to see it go but wanted to see it in a top 5 or 10 set.

Comments

• Options
    I would have liked to have had that coin. I really liked the way you marketed it by having your little jewel holding it for the camera!! image
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Congratulations to both of you. It looked like a beauty, and the price was right. Seems like a good deal for both.

One just went in the Heritage auction for $2415 and you cut out the middleman: Link

Gerry

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrads to Dpoole. ...not an easy date in 67RD.

David
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was very generous of Brian. By my careful calculations, he earned $.43 an hour for the time he put in searching rolls in order to come up with this one. I can only imagine the emotional anguish he suffered to sell me this one in order to stay his wife's pummeling (I was lucky enough to have forged a secret alliance with his wife; now my task is to keep MY wife from finding out about this deal!).

It's a pretty coin. The strike is the best I've ever seen on this date. I was thrilled to get it.

Everything that goes around, comes around Brian! image
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was sad to see it go but wanted to see it in a top set. I only offered it to a choice few who would appreciate it. >>

My PM function must be not working again; I'll have to talk to someone at PCGS about having it fixed. image

Great coin, congrats to both of you. image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    I'm new to this forum, in fact I have never been involved with groups discussions on the internet before. I am curious about how such coins are advertised or made known that they are available. Any advice?
  • Options
    Jack,

Welcome to the Boards!

Coins like this usually get placed in auctions (as you can see from the earlier posts, another 1958 MS67 was sold at the Heritage auction in Baltimore this week) or go to dealers on consignment.

Sometimes, a collector like Brian will happen to know that a collector like me wants a certain date, and will make the contact directly (cutting out all the middle-man stuff). Definitely win-win, when that happens. That, BTW, is the advantage of having a visible Registry Set, so that people know what you're looking for. That's been very helpful to me, personally.

Whether or not you have a Registry Set up, my advice is to contact some dealers who specialize in the coin series you're interested in, and submit a "Want List" (some of their sites have special links to help you submit one). You can also go to the "Buy, Sell & Trade-Coins" Forum here if you have an item or two you're looking for, and post your request there. You can even use your signature line on your posts here (go to "Profile," above), and put an item or two that you want there, so it'll show up every time you make a post.

Some people say that people will take advantage of knowing you want a particular item. That has not been my personal experience. But even so, just know how much what you're looking for is worth, and how much you want to spend.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any other questions. Also, I've no doubt that others will provide different/better perspectives.

David
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will be able "get rid of the middleman" a few times by being active on this board. My collection is up already under JK Cumming Collection. Again, thanks
  • Options
    Wow! Nice set, Jack!!

I can see you're a lot farther advanced in this business than I'd presumed!! (my apologies).

It'd also help you if you're going to hang around here, to turn on your "Allow Private Messages" option (again, "Profile", above). image

PS--You see Chipnaputt's 1909-S VDB MS66Rd is on Ebay, closing at under 10K??
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    John,

I sent you a Private Message (PM) with info that might help you find coins like these more often.

Also, welcome to the boards and nice Lincoln set you've got going there.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Jack,

Actually I did email you about a 1949-P In MS66RD. I never heard back from you. Nice set BTW.

Brian