Home U.S. Coin Forum

Changes I would like the mint to make

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
Other than the obvious issues like better designs and higher relief.

I want mint marks returned to the reverse of all regular circulating coins

I would like all commemorative half dollars to be silver not clad

I would like the gold commemoratives to be $1 and $2.5, not $5 and $10 (I would accept a $3 for the SF mint commem)

I would like the SF mint to produce circulating coins as well as PROOFs

I would like to see commemoratives struck from all existing and former mints (even if they need to improvise to strike in Delonega, New Orleans and Charlotte) I think commems with cc, o, c, d, d, s, w, and p would be very cool)

Probably a bunch more, these are just a few miscellaneous ramblings for now.

Comments

• I like.. some of you ideas. But the last one will never ever happen and why change the gold commems to 1 and 2.5 dollar? More afordable yes but what about the people that want them for the gold aswell as the coin? The 1st I wouldnt mind and I think the 2nd is a great idea and with the S mint for proofs and bussiness strikes it wouldnt affect me so I wouldnt really care.
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    How about some circulating coins from West Point, as well? It would be neat seeing coins circulating with the "W" mint mark. image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But the last one will never ever happen and why change the gold commems to 1 and 2.5 dollar? More afordable yes but what about the people that want them for the gold aswell as the coin? >>

Kid,

The gold content doesn't have to change... as it is now, a $5 gold eagle has some $40+ worth of gold... the face value slapped on it is random and meaningless, until gold falls so 1/10th oz. is actually worth less than $5. To make a gold commem with $100+ melt value have a face value of $2.50 instead of $5 would have no effect on who buys them... besides, they could make it a common number, like $19.99, and the bullion would still be the only thing determining its value.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Bring back Franklin!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • There is the problem of Siegnorage. Every denomination of US Gold contains a weight, diameter and fineness that is dictated by law. Because these coins are legal tender, they are bound by law on these attributes and they are redeemable. Also they are on-the-books assets belonging to the US Treasury that are valued by proscribed weight, fineness and the price of gold.

That does not mean that we could not have $1 and $2-1/2 Gold Commemorative coins but they would be the same design, weight etc as the earlier issues. Unless the laws change. I happen to like the $2.50 denomination and wish that they would strike some commems. in that denomination.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about some circulating coins from West Point, as well? It would be neat seeing coins circulating with the "W" mint mark. image >>

Well, actually, cents were minted at the Westpoint mint for a number of years, but did not have a mintmark at all. They are indistinguishable from Philadelphia minted cents, thus have little or no mention in any general reference guide.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file