Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SECOND ATTEMPT: STRANGE 1957 PR WASHINGTON

Does anyone else have any 1957 proof Washingtons? I bought this proof set because the Washington looks like it might make a cameo designation. I know it's hard to make a determination through the scuffed mint poly. That's not what this is about, anyway.

If you look at the eagle's left wing, it looks like the coin itself has been tooled. The plastic has not been tampered with. Has anyone else seen anything like this on their 57's?

J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    Mabe the die was tooled at a later date.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I tend to agree with Jonesy - it looks like the die might've been failing and someone got the bright idea of touching it up - cool find JC! image
  • Options
    It sure looks like scratches into the coin itself.

If they retooled the die, that means they would somehow have had to add metal to the reverse die. When you look at the smaller pic, note how the lines jump out at you. It's not this cheap $100 scanner, that's the way it looks to the eye with a loupe also.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

• Options
    Let's try this again. I don't think I'm the only one out there with a 1957 proof set.
    J.C.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly, something odd is going on here. Would the mint actually retool a die intended for proofs? Seems to me they would just discard it and start with a fresh die. As for tooling the coin, is it worth the time and effort for the mint to do so? No way.

I wish I could see this coin in person.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    could it be some grease filling the device causing such an ugly proof?
  • Options
    Shamika,

That is what I find so strange. If you look at the lines, they don't even match the lines of the feathers. There aren't even any pinholes in the plastic that someone could have stuck a scribe or other tool through. That's why I was hoping that someone may have a cameo 57 to compare with.
    J.C.

• Options
    I'd check that slab...Looks like someone took out the coin, tooled it, and returned it to the slab....my .02 worth!image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it in a slap or the government issued plastic?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Dogs,

In the 50s. proof dies were repolished to extend life and remove flaws. They were repolished in the recessed areas with diamond dust and a wire brush. Areas that have an appearance of heavier frost than the surrounding areas, or areas that look tooled probably were. Since these dies were pickled in acid as opposed to the sandblasting and chroming of the dies that began in the 70s, the cameo effect on the surface of the die was VERY delicate. After the touch-up, they would usually rub acid onto the touched-up area to recreate frost. Some of the 69 coins have incredibly varied cameo, with areas of bright white where the touch-up occured, and faded frost on the rest of the design.

All that said, from what I see, it looks like yours is just hairlined. That really wasn't uncommon, and lots of Franklins are particularly prone to it still in the mint pack. JMO
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    It's still in the original mint poly. It's a complete set.
    J.C.

• Options
    DHeath,

Thank you. I went through all my odds and ends and found another 57 proof Wash. It has no cameo whatsoever, and I can JUST make out the same lines in the left wing. So...I guess that the one pictured here is an earlier die state and it WAS retooled by the mint.

Everybody, thanks for your help.

(I wonder if Office Max will take back this worthless scanner.)
    J.C.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Twodogs,

Maybe you found a new variety! That would be pretty cool. I think the lines are raised indicating the coin was not alter, but the die was. The mint used to do all kinds of weird thing that they wouldn't do today. I wish you luck in finding another quarter just like it. I'm sure if it is out there someone will find it.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file