Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There's 'chopped' and then there's "CHOPPED"!

Comments

• Options
    Holy Chop Sticks!!! image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    How can one tell it was chopped 1000 times. It already looks like

chopped liver. All it needs is some garnish with parsley.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Ok dummie coming through... what is a chop mark?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    When the Trade Dollars were shipped for use in China, the money changers would chop their

counter mark in the coin to insure it was infact genuine. Each Trade Dollar could in fact receive

many chop marks as it continually changed hands.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Talk about beating a dead horse........imageimage
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Chopped mark trade dollars are way cool. At current prices certified PCGS VF and better pieces will prove to be the bargain of the century. These coins are neat anyway, but add the history of the chops and you have a classic.

Greg
  • Options
    Those are downright ugly. I'm amazed PCGS would encapsulate one with so many chop marks.
  • Options
    Isn't that amazing. I get an unc. Buff back in a body bag for "tooling" that I STILL can't see with a 10X loupe, but they'll slab that.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    I really disagree with PCGS' decision to encapsulate these things. It only opens the door to other pieces being encapsulated like this and I think it will tarnish their image. That is a downright mutilated coin, I don't care what the chop marks symbolize. Oh well, to each his own I guess!
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    It being slabbed is not what bothers me - what I want to know is how could they grade it as they did ?

Just what part of that coin meets the criteria ( anybody's criteria ) for being deserving of an F15 grade ?
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Groovy. I don't understand how they grade them, either.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ! I think it deserves at least a VF-20!! Look at the detail of the few letters you can make out!

Still, pretty fascinating.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    As one who collects Trade Dollars exclusively, I share many of the same opinions as above:

1) This coin is virtually mutilated and yet PCGS has slabbed it? What would be the difference if there were a few holed drilled into it (except holes are not deemed as chops)

2) What gives the coin the grade? Detail remaining? # of chops?

I occasionaly get coins returmed from PCGS for the subtle, catch-all, questionable toning and yet this coin gets through. No whining but I tend to agree with the comment of what was PCGS thinking when they allowed a CM series.

keoj
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    how ... in ... THE ... he11 ... do they come up w/ such an "accurate" grade? not just merely "fine", but F-15!

K S
  • Options

<< <i>how ... in ... THE ... he11 ... do they come up w/ such an "accurate" grade? not just merely "fine", but F-15!

K S >>

How dare you question the grading gods? All know is that it's series 51CM coin 5 and that I need it for my Registry Set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file