Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins in Movies

2»

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although coins were not seen, they were mentioned in the movie Mannequin;

"Mama, put the coins on my eyes, 'cause I sure don't believe what I am seeing."

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

The film 2002 film "Road to Perdition" has a scene where a deceased man has coins on his eyes.

"Road to Perdition" coins on eyes

Supposedly this funeral custom was done by some ethnic groups.

The film also has a man rolling a half-dollar between his fingers.

"Road to Perdition" finger roll

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

I have also heard that people were at times "presumed dead" and if the eyes moved the coin(s) would fall, which could warrant further investigation of life. Kinda like the "bell story" of being buried alive?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭

In Road House, which is possibly the greatest film of all time, a quarter is prominently featured in the end of the handle of the knife used to kill Sam Elliott’s character. Maybe it’s a SMS.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cinderella Man is a 2005 American biographical sports drama film directed by Ron Howard, titled after the nickname of world heavyweight boxing champion James J. Braddock and inspired by his life story. The film was produced by Howard, Penny Marshall, and Brian Grazer

An appropriate title for a film showing Morgan silver dollars:

A Western film shows some men playing poker.

There are some real Morgan silver dollars on the card table

The film has an appropriate title - "For a Few Dollars More".

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    The film 2002 film "Road to Perdition" has a scene where a deceased man has coins on his eyes.

"Road to Perdition" coins on eyes

Supposedly this funeral custom was done by some ethnic groups.

The film also has a man rolling a half-dollar between his fingers.

"Road to Perdition" finger roll

While I was working for Harlan Berk in Chicago I picked out all of the coins and paper money for this money.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    While I was working for Harlan Berk in Chicago I picked out all of the coins and paper money for this money.

I think you meant "for this movie".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@CaptHenway- Did you really? Now that is a great piece of coin/movie history and trivia. Thank you for that! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited January 23, 2023 8:33PM

Although no coin was used in this scene, a good line in The Shootist was used;

"You and Dobkins are two sides
    of a counterfeit coin."

In reference to a shady reporter (Dobkins) and an old flame (Serepta) who is trying to get married to J B Books to have his last name.

edited January 23, 2023 10:45PM

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

In the 1942 movie "Road to Morocco" Bing Crosby tells Bob Hope that he has a 1911 Buffalo Nickel.

"Road to Morocco" Bing Crosby and Bob Hope

Unfortunately he doesn't show the coin to the audience.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    In the 1942 movie "Road to Morocco" Bing Crosby tells Bob Hope that he has a 1911 Buffalo Nickel.

"Road to Morocco" Bing Crosby and Bob Hope

Unfortunately he doesn't show the coin to the audience.

You mean like this?

Today is actress Julie Newmar's birthday August 16.

Julie Newmar's first credited film, using the name Julie Newmeyer, was the 1953 film "Serpent of the Nile".

She was a dancer and appeared in a scene where Cleopatra (Rhonda Fleming) proposes an alliance with Mark Antony (Raymond Burr).

Antony asks Cleopatra if she has the money to support an alliance and she shows him the money.

Mark Antony and Cleopatra confer

Dancing girls push wagon with gold statue

Wagon coin display

Golden Girl (Julie Newmar covered with gold paint)

Julie Newmar performs a solo dance for about four minutes.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Julie Newmar, oh my, a statuesque woman posing as a statue!!

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Ready Player One (2018), the two quarters placed over James Halliday's eyes are from 1972. The birth year of Halliday and the first commercially successful video game, Atari's Pong. The cost to play: 25 cents

Easter eggs in and movie about easter eggs

It's all about what the people want...

edited September 1, 2023 8:37PM

The film "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny":

Near the end of the film when Indiana Jones and Helena Shaw find the grave of Archimedes, they uncover the stone casket and view the remains.

The skull has two coins placed on the eyes which is an ancient Greek custom.

The coins appear to be large coins, corroded and covered with dust, which makes them hard to identify.

They are probably copies of ancient Greek coins.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Today is actress Julie Newmar's birthday August 16.

Julie Newmar's first credited film, using the name Julie Newmeyer, was the 1953 film "Serpent of the Nile".

She was a dancer and appeared in a scene where Cleopatra (Rhonda Fleming) proposes an alliance with Mark Antony (Raymond Burr).

Antony asks Cleopatra if she has the money to support an alliance and she shows him the money.

Mark Antony and Cleopatra confer

Dancing girls push wagon with gold statue

Wagon coin display

Golden Girl (Julie Newmar covered with gold paint)

Julie Newmar performs a solo dance for about four minutes.

Wonder if Ian Fleming was influenced by Newmars gold painted character as an idea for the golden girl in the movie "Goldfinger".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited September 1, 2023 10:45PM

If I remember correctly at the end of the movie The Cincinnati Kid the Steve McQueen character is pitching pennies with a young black boy outside at the back of the building. This after having lost the card game to the Edward G. Robinson character.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jack Reacher, movie. 1968 Quarter.

https://youtu.be/tScqGdvmmUc?si=TDAZJiD3WpWljXfL

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Captive State, movie, at about 40:27 a SLQ, undated used at pay phone.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leprechaun Origins, fake 8 Escudos.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
    edited October 27, 2023 1:35PM

Coins on Television: Perry Mason

Perry Mason - The Case of the Sad Sicilian (1965)

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Coins on Television: Perry Mason

Perry Mason - The Case of the Sad Sicilian (1965)

I watched Perry mason last week .It was The Case of the Wooden Nickels...

edited October 27, 2023 2:14PM

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭

Perry Mason Season 8-12 The Case of the Wooden Nickel

Minerva Doubleday asks Paul to complete a secretive deal for her uncle involving the sale of a rare coin. Paul follows the instructions but finds himself at the uncle's shop where he stumbles into Minerva over a man shot to death.
    Perry Mason becomes involved in a case involving avid coin collectors, fake coins, fraud - and murder. It all begins when Paul Drake is hired by Minerva Doubleday whose Uncle Homer Doubleday owns a local coin shop. She wants Drake to act as a go between in delivering a rare 1861 Confederate half dollar to an anonymous buyer who has agreed to pay $50,000 for the coin. She's afraid for her own safety so gets Drake to follow the buyers elaborate instructions. Both Drake and Perry wonder if the coin is real and Perry visits an acquaintance, Howard Hopkins, to see if it's real. Hopkins has made many efforts to buy the rare coin but Doubleday refuses to sell to him due to previous interactions. Drake is intercepted along the way and redirected back to Doubleday's coin shop where he finds Minerva standing holding a gun over the body of George Parsons, another who was very interested in the coin. Parsons was blackmailing Doubleday over fake coins he made for Parsons. Perry defends Minerva when she is charged with Parsons' murder.

Interesting when the coin was handed back to Perry Mason,the collector touched it by putting two fingerprints as it was placed in a velvet case.

• BadaBlingBadaBling Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman: $3 Gold Princess Leadership Rings.

That looks like a Type 3 gold dollar based on the size relative to the man's hand.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LucyBop said:
    I remember a movie with Steve Martin and he was a gold coin collector, and a little girl walked into his house...... his coins wound up stolen..... I don't remember the name....

One of the best things about seeing these revived threads is remembering old friends. Hope Lucy is still up and bopping.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to remember if coins were featured in Bob Hope's classic, "Lemon Drop Kid," the Christmas movie that introduced the world to "Silver Bells." The scene that seems to come to mind has something to do with a Salvation Army Christmas Kettle.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Ameche's last movie, "Things Change," has a good shot of a crown-sized Sicilian coin circa 1800 (iirc) that has a dramatic effect on his character's life.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MtW124MtW124 Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

John Wayne in Mclintock, in the beginning when he’s at the cattle yard Drago flips a coin to Bunny the town drunk at John Wayne’s request when Bunny says his kidneys and liver ain’t quite what they used to be. Looks like silver and is probably a dollar.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m cheating a bit on the theme with a tv show, but the original Hawaii Five-O had an episode some 50 years ago that featured the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty Nickel. It was the target of the show’s frequently appearing villain Wo Fat.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• SaamSaam Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Do you know what coin was the big spoiler in this movie?

1979 cent. B)

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night the move "Strange Beasts and Where to Find Them" (Harry Spotter spinoff) was on while I was working on stuff at my desk. In one scene a close-up of a Barber Dime is shown as it flips through the air.

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    I’m cheating a bit on the theme with a tv show, but the original Hawaii Five-O had an episode some 50 years ago that featured the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty Nickel. It was the target of the show’s frequently appearing villain Wo Fat.

The 100K nickel. I watched that episode when I was a kid, and found it hard to believe a nickel could be worth that much. Bucks down in my childhood, I was unable to rub two nickels of any kind together!

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2023 5:21PM

I suspect this has been mentioned already, but Tom Hanks last movie, A Man Called Otto, features a 1964 silver quarter. He even beats up a clown who tries to steal his special 1964 quarter while performing a magic trick with it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qgu2IuUKn1c

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 220 ✭✭✭✭

Dennis the Menace

Mr. Wilson’s goooold. Integral role in the movie

https://youtu.be/MZvUicGV0xM?si=l4NxtmYk_ef6KerY

The 1981 film "Chariots of Fire" shows some British large pennies of King Edward VII and King George V.

Chariots of Fire pennies

In the early 1920's British runner Harold Abrahams asks his coach Sam Mussabini what he is doing wrong.

The coach shows him the five pennies and tells him:
    "Do you know why you lost? Because you're overstriding, just a couple of inches. These coins represent the strides in your 100 meters. Have you got another two coins, Mr. Abrahams? Well, maybe we can find them."

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Tin Cup where Costner uses a worn Mercury dime as a golf ball marker.

My grandpa has a friend who uses a 1904 v nickel as a ball marker.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

End of the movie "The Cincinnati Kid". If I recall Steve McQueen is pitching pennies with the young boy.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a movie whose title I can’t remember and it’s killing me, from the 80’s or early 90’s where aliens invade a small town and use weapons powered by copper. Towards the end the young kid uses his coveted 09-S VDB, or 55 DD, one of the two, to fire the weapon and kill the alien. Like a last ditch act that saves everyone.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file