Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A New Forum Member has a Question!

Hello! My name is Joseph Nemec, and I’ve been an avid coin collector for the past two years. I have been reading these forums for the past several weeks and have found them to be very informative and enjoyable, so to better improve my experience and be able to actually participate in questioning and answering with the knowledgeable people I have been watching day by day, I decided to join.
Just a few days ago, while searching through a silver dollar stash I purchased, I stumbled upon a very unusual Morgan Dollar (pictured below) with the reverse’s “O” showing that it was struck by the New Orleans mint. The date almost looks like “1801”, with the “0” having a very strange look to it. Being that Morgan Dollars were only minted from 1878 through 1904 and then again in 1921, allows the coin to be either an 1881 or an 1891. Could this be a rare error, a worthless mutilated piece, or just a result of circulation’s wear? If you have any ideas on how the coin got to look like this I would be most grateful if you would post your thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer! I look forward to becoming an active member in these forums and appreciate those who spend their time helping to solve the problems of others.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to me like a circulated 1891-O, and, though not a Morgan enthusiast, I would guess that it trades at no premium/discount to the 1891-O of that condition.

Edited to say: Welcome to the Forum image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Almost looks like a mulitated 1891-O
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Welcome to the boards sunshine. Sorry I can't help on the Morgan, but somebody here will.

• Options
    That's a mutilated 9. I don't see how that could be a mint error of any kind but who knows, I am no morgan expert.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Probably a mutilated coin but MIGHT be a VAM. Trying to think of some VAM guys on the boards. Try editing your title to include "Help from VAM collectors" That will hook them in.

John
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Morgans but welcome to the boards.image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Tough to tell without seeing the coin in person, or a closer scan of the date, but it looks like there might be a large ding where the nine loops back on itself. If the edge of another large coin struck it there, it could possibly have moved the metal in the date, making it look more like a 0 than a 9. That would make it damaged. Mutilated suggests an "intent to alter," as opposed to "incidental damage." I do agree that it looks to be an 1891-O though.

I don't think you have a high dollar item though.
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    PS

Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    Welcome! I don't know morgans either. I stick to the Franklins, and most recently, Kennedy's...Ken...... Kennedy set..............And another one
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Concur with those saying it looks like a damaged or mutilated 9
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! There's a lot of highly knowledgeable numismatic minds to draw from here!

But I'm not one of them!

Enjoy!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Welcome to the Forums sunshine777!!! image
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Welcome aboard! Glad you're here. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey sunshine

it looks like an 1891 that received a nice ding at the date. open your PM function and send a message to "gilbert" or "dog97" since they are both pretty good with Morgans and "gilbert" can help more with VAM's.

oh yeah, quit looking over our shoulder and join in the fun!!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    Not a Vam...........there are none in the date area for any of the possibilities.................1891 with a hit on the loop of the 9 and shoved it down a bit...........look close at the picture and you can see a gap or a double section on the bottom..............................Jr. Vam Man has SPOKEN.........image
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Welcome to the board, Joseph.
    Looks like a 1891 to me, with the 9 being squashed so looking like a 0.
    BTW, since you 've been lurking around here long enough, did you enjoy the occasional flame wars also?imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file