Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If coins dropped in value by 90%

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wouldn't it be a blast to watch all the commotion and broken legs an stuff during the mad scramble to get em ALL?

Or TAPE it!?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    I would be buying a lot more coins. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lose a few dollars on my current coins, but one " h " of an oppritunity to get some of the 100,00.00 + power coins. Alll in all, be worth it to own some of them.

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yeah, but if they only dropped by 80% it wouldn't be much fun
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I could actually buy an 1895 Proof Morgan and an uncirculated 1893-S Morgan. And, that is just for starters.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That would mean the average value of each my coins would drop to about 10¢.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    HEY! I'm assuming that all of US are so astute that we would have sold the week before.

Sheeee.......ack like we dumm!!

• Options
    Oh, jeez.....just thought......we ALL sold the week before.............

with a 10 day ebay auction...................!!!!

"Hello, buyer? Um, that coin you bid on. Yeah, that one. Uh, I haven't got a payment yet. Hello.....buyer?"

• Options
    If coins dropped by 90%, that means the 1933 Double Eagle would now be worth an estimated $800,000, probably where it belongs anyway. I'd own a lot more coins if that were the case.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'd also get to see some people jump off bridges!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I just realized that would mean I could buy 1964 proof sets for about a dollar each! Man, could I have some fun.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    That means you could get common B.U. Morgans for $3! image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes a great deal of courage to go in a different direction than everyone else.
    It's usually your best bet whether everyone is running out of town screaming "Godzilla"
    or buying internet stock, but it's never easy. There are never any gaurantees and not
    joining the crowd can be disasterous when there's really a monster loose in town or the
    godzilla of dams just failed. Market segments have crashed before and will certainly
    crash again. Look at late date BU rolls from the early 1960's. These coins have still not
    regained their pre-crash prices despite decades of attrition by those seeking varieties
    or a little spending money. Art bars from the early '70's are mostly priced at silver value
    except for a few interesting rarities. MS-65 Morgans have yet to regain their highs from
    the late '80's. In each case buying at the lows in the crash year would result in even more
    losses. In each case there were very few willing buyers after the crash, very few willing
    to risk that the market wouldn't go even lower.

Sure if a coin like a nice attractive MS-60 Barber quarter from the 1800's lost 90% of its val-
    ue there would be a line of people ready to buy all they could get. But what if virtually all
    coins dropped by 90%? In all probability there would be no lines to buy any coins. People
    would fear that coins are going far lower and few would be willing to risk any substantial
    funds for the new bargains. The only forces capable of causing such a collapse will have an
    effect on people which is even greater than the effect of the much lower prices. The nature
    of these causes would determine a prudent course of action.

Such an event seems most highly improbable in any case. ...and this is much more true today
    than it has been in many years.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file