Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another post on turnaround times

I know this has been hashed out here many times, but I'm going to add my 2 cents. As we all know, economy submission return time is very slow. It seems as if PCGS has decided that it's OK to make submitters wait 2 1/2 months for a 1 month posted service. A question was asked in the Q & A forum and I think Mr. Hall stated they were working diligently to improve this. It would seem that 3 or so months would be enough time to make head-way on this issue. I see no improvement and maybe even a slight regression in times. Being #1 in the coin certification industry, I would think that something would have been done by now.

Bruggs

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Bruggs,

You know now that PCGS is off at the ANA, they will even be slower.image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to keep quiet about things, but the turnaround times is a sore subject with me. I send to the four major services and am leaving out the names besides PCGS intentionally.
    I sent 10 coins to one of the services on their 10/10/10 "special." It was a special alright. All 10 coins came back either MS66 or PR66. It could happen, but I've been doing this long enough to know all were better than 66. Several should have came back 69DCAM. Were these coins actually looked at? I don't think so! Henry Ford perfected the assembly line, not XXXX grading service!
    Another service I send to graded all four Mercury dimes I sent MS65 with one being MS65FB. I graded the coins MS64, MS65FB, MS66 and MS67. All four of the toned Mint set Roosevelt dimes were graded MS66 and both the Franklin halves I sent came back 63. I could accept a 63, IF one had not been cracked from a PCGS 65 holder! I cracked it thinking it should be FBL. Needless to say, the Franklins in 63 won't hit the market in 63 holders!
    The fast turnaround times have problems. If they aren't going to look at the coins realistically, I don't need the quick turnaround. I'll stick to the slower turnaround at PCGS and have my coins graded realistically.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • I have just recieved the coins back from two different submissions. 23 coins total. I am happy with all of my grades, even the 3 AU58's. You are only going to get what you pay for, IMO. I want all of my coins in PCGS holders. If that means I have to wait longer, then so be it. Graders are not something that you put a help wanted ad in the local newspaper and hire a couple...Just my view on this....Ken
  • BruggsBruggs Posts: 449 ✭✭
    Ken and Michael,
    I regularly submit to PCGS and will continue to do so. I don't have a problem with grades at all. As a matter of fact, my last 2 submissions on average were better than expected. When they (PCGS) sent out a letter explaining services and fees taking effect on 4-1-03, economy submissions are listed as 30-45 day turn-around time. Since april 1, economy times have never been under 60 days. In percentages, that's 35-50% over stated time. I hear of moderns being returned on time and for that matter, almost all of the other service times are being met. Why not economy?
  • This is why. Its on the submission status page.
    Economy Service Current estimated turnaround: 75 calendar days.
    Maybe it should be in a more prominent place...Ken
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not bagging on any of the services, but this is what happens when your turnaround time is quicker than your graders can realistically look at a coin: NGC gets tonecoined. See this thread. I send to NGC, but I have to say that Stevie Wonder could have seen this AT coin!
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file