Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do PCGS/NGC compare with the Jeffs?

dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm somewhat familiar with different grading standards between PCGS and NGC for some series.

How about the Jeffs, though? I have a few Jeffs in NGC slabs e.g., 43-D MS67FS, 38-S MS66), and am wondering what your experience is with regard to grading standards between the two services. Which is tighter/looser, do they emphasize different features? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    In order to get a FS at NGC there has to be 6 Full Steps, PCGS requires only five, ANACS will rate the coin 5, 5.5 or 6.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    It seems this Jeff got a boost for color. Notice the big gash just above the FIVE. There is also a big hit on the other side where you can really see metal pushed. This got 65*.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems this Jeff got a boost for color. Notice the big gash just above the FIVE. There is also a big hit on the other side where you can really see metal pushed. This got 65*.

image >>

Apalachian Hoard. Pretty coin, as most if not all are.

My limited experience with Jeffersons has proven that NGC is tighter with the steps but slightly looser with the overall quality.
    For example, an NGC MS67 might go MS66 with PCGS but a FS PCGS Jeff may not get the FS from NGC.

Interestingly, you know who does a pretty good job, surprisingly, with Jeffersons?
    SEGS.

Seriously. For whatever reason, they take grading them with no humor and the many I've seen in their holders are right on.

peacockcoins

• Options
    That's a nice Jeff!
  • Options
    Braddick, Hi. My experience with NGC and PCGS on the Jeff's is identical with yours: NGC is better on the steps; PCGS is better on the grade.

When I see a PCGS advertised "full steps" I figure I'm getting anything from 4-3/4 to 6 steps, with most of the pre-1965 dates clustered around 5 or 5.25 steps. But enough 4-3/4s to make buying on eBay (without return privileges) a risky business.

But the NCGS coins are always at least a solid 5.5 steps and usually 5.75 to 6 steps. NGC, though, is just a tad looser on the grade -- about a quarter of a point.

Enjoy,

Just having fun!

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, all! Good information, as usual.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file