Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Leaving the Registry

Why do people remove sets from the Registry?

Can't catch the leaders and get discouraged?

Finish a set and sell it to pusue a new challenge?

Can't find any new cards for the set and get bored?

Switch to a different grading company?

Get annoyed at PSA?

In my case I sold my 1964 Giants BB set because I was locked in at #4 and wasn't ever going to catch Gemmy!

Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    I think the answers are usually a, b, and c. In addition, sometimes sets have to be sold to pay family bills -- car, medical, child's education, home improvement, etc. We've heard of some of those cases here.

Skycap
  • Options
    I would guess its b and c mostly.

While I think a occurs, I dont think it is all that often as many people are not striving to be at the top of the list, but rather want to make a self-determined mark (all 8 set, all 9 set etc.). Many people just try for the best set they can get regardless of where it places them.

BTW Frank, I dont think I have seen your TG set reappear anywhere.
  • Options
    I would agree with B & C.... That's why I sold off my previous set, and that's why I am about to sell off my current set.... Just not enough updates available to keep me busy, and I'm ready for a new challenge......
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    JH,

If you are serious about selling your 1964 set, I would pay a fair price for not only the cards I needed(in psa 8 or 9) that I do not have in psa 8 but also to make deal work would be willing to include a lot of 9s.

Davalillo
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I have been active
    Not too long ago I was active in the registry
    with several sets, including 64 Giants, HOF, and others.

I still have those cards (and many many more)
    but shut all my sets down, because I had SEVERAL problems
    when I upgraded a card and/or sold one that was registered.

When I tried to delete it from a set, so the buyer could
    register it, it would go away from the set, but still be
    "registered" somehow, screwing up the buyer.
    (and yes, I did go through all the steps!)
    BJ was as helpful as she could be each time this happened,
    but it happened WAY TOO MANY TIMES so I just Deleted
    the sets all together, until I get them finished (or close)
    and then I will register them.

(.....unless of course PSA continues to make repeated
    bad business decisions, then I wll be with a different
    company when they close up shop.)

imageimage
  • Options
    It's hard for me to believe someone would take their set off the registry for the sole reason they could never catch the leader.

Is that why people build sets?
    So they can have the finest set available, otherwise screw it?

Well I'll remove my Wilson Frank set, I'll never catch that guy who spent $140,000 to get his; I just gotta be #1!!!!

Forget that! If that's why you're building sets, you have some weird complex. Build a set cuz it's fun, who cares who's #1?
    (well......me....just a little)
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Interchanges.....I couldn't have said it better myself
  • Options
    I personally am selling of the majority of my set (1974) right now because of financial reasons, im going to try and keep a few of my PSA-9's from my set, and im keeping a ton of extremely high end "raw" cards for grading at a later date, for me its not a question of ever catching Wayne or Scott, i just started my set because its fun, and challenged myself to see how much of the set i could amass in superior grades !! ..... and now i will just contribute to making thier sets even more awesome then they already are !! good luck to all the set builders out here !!

Andrew
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I have sold off partial 1965 sets a couple of time in order to raise funds for new registry ventures. I always find that the money goes back in the registry (hopefully more money than I had the last time).

John