Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Current coins - More folks associated with WWII than any other era

tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
Cent - Lincoln - Civil War
Nickel - Jefferson - Revolution
Roosevelt - WWII
Washington - Revolution
Kennedy - WWII (Remember PT109 and saving his buddy by swimming many miles)
Eisenhower - WWII

Of the 20th century coins with dead presidents, more have been associated with World War II than any other era. Not so with currency.

Tom
Tom

Comments

• Options
    They waited 44 years after Lincoln's death to put him on the cent. Took less than a year to get Roosevelt on the Dime. Less than 6 months to get Kennedy on the Half. About 2 years to get Eisenhower on the Dollar. Took over 110 years to get Jefferson on the Nickel and over 130 years to get Washington on the quarter. Seems to me like they're putting dead presidents on coins WAY too quickly these days. They've ruined some classics by doing it too. Oh well.
  • Options
    War Nickels??? image
  • Options
    steel cents???
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It also seems that this interest in WWII related presidents has truly surged in the last 50 or 60 years!!image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it may have something to do with Roosevelt and Kennedy dying in office also.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Roosevelt;s appearance on the dime was spurred by the March of Dimes to help fight polio.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They waited 44 years after Lincoln's death to put him on the cent. Took less than a year to get Roosevelt on the Dime. Less than 6 months to get Kennedy on the Half. About 2 years to get Eisenhower on the Dollar. Took over 110 years to get Jefferson on the Nickel and over 130 years to get Washington on the quarter. Seems to me like they're putting dead presidents on coins WAY too quickly these days. >>

CP,

Not really a fair comparison. Until the Lincoln cent, they weren't putting dead Presidents on coins at all. That was a turning point in the US Mint's history. It would make sense that once the trend was set, the additions would happen much more quickly.

OTOH, I personally think that the dead prez brigade, (or dead anybody, for that matter), should be reserved for commemorative coins. I'd like to see some artistry return to regular coinage. Toast every denomination and start over.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Good points Russ and, I agree with what you said.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I agree 110%, Russ.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Artistic coins Oui, Dead presidents non.

Greg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file