Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore update - the Larry Steve Auction

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had a great time at the auction. Larry's coins were well received. Still not sure which lots didn't meet reserve. Prices below are hammer.

Highlights included the cross denom. clashes of 1857, the S7 going for 7K, the S8 for 13K and the S9 for 6400. They then combined the lots for the opportunity to buy all three. Snow stepped to the plate and got all 3 for 30K.

The VERY EDS 1858/7 went for 19K. The 1888/7 S2 brought $4300.

I was able to buy 2 lots, the 1864 noL DDO 64RB and a 1872 RPD (triple punched) in 64RB. Both nice coins.

Heritage starts in 1.5 hours - some nice coins to be had at all the auctions. I especially liked the 1866 S1 DDO 65RB and the 1860 pointed bust ex. mHeathgate coming up this AM.

More later.
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The Steve coins obviously only appealed to a small segment of collectors, but as one of that group I found them fascinating. It was amazing to see an entire date set of varieties in one auction. The only lots I noticed that didn't meet reserve were the 1865 DDR and 1878 S2 MPD -- I believe "bidder #1700" is actually the reserve for all of ANR's auctions.

Congrats on adding the 1864 DDO and 1872 RPD to your already dazzling set of varieties, those two will fit in very nicely. The repunching of the 1872 is clear even in the online image. When I saw someone win the package deal of FE clashes I had a feeling it was Snow.

I picked up the 2 lesser known reverse off-set clashes, the 1889 S31 & 1890 S16. I really like that variety type and wanted to add them to my 1880 S1 as a neat little set. I've never seen either of those two before and who knows when an another opportunity will arise. Think I may have won the 1902 "die gouge in cheek", but I bid on that one live and haven't received confirmation yet. The bidding was a bit too fast for their website to keep up with at times, a lot of the late bids often didn't show up in the bidding screen. One coin I wish I'd gone after was the 1870 "0 in denticles", another variety that rarely comes up for sale and rates high on the "coolness" scale.

Also picked up an 1899 NGC 65BN struck 35% off-center in the evening session. It's also an S1 (RPD) and has strong rotated clashmarks on the reverse, what are the odds of all that happening on one coin?

Keep the reports coming!

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    you guys please post some pics of your coins when you get them.

I am now looking forward to seeing those clashes in person at Snow's table!!!

thanks for the update!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goose:

Turns out the set was purchased for a client. If you don't see them displayed, ask Rick to see them. I'm sure he'll oblige.

Shylock:

Congrats on the coins.......I was wondering who was the strong bidder on those 2....you blew the rest of us away!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file