Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1866 motto Seated Quarter........how many REALLY survived???

I have read the mintage in the Red Book, and I have read Breen's comments that approx. half of them were melted, so what do you guys think............are there really only 400 or so left in the world??????
New shop..........New lessons every day...............

Comments

• Options
    I have a XF one.

I doubt that many exist. PCGS/NGC have graded less than 60 in all grades. 25c pieces were hard working coins in those days and many were either worn out or melted overseas.

Now can someone explain why they sell for so little when compared to the 32-s & 33-d? I would love to upgade the one I have but I never see them for sale despite their affordability.

I am gonna go look at mine now.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Hey ohbaby i know where you can get one
  • Options
    image sorry forgot the PF part..........Proof Seated Quarters.....once again sorry image
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    For a Proof 1866 W/motto PCGS has graded
    5 cameo
    2 Dcameo
    for a total of
    130 coins

a 64 is a pop 26/12
  • Options
    The Red Book still lists it as Unique. Interesting...
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Unless I'm reading the red book wrong, the one that's unique doesn't have the motto. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of published estimates of number of coins surviving.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proofs are not hard, business strikes are tough. One dealer I showed my 1866 to (only VG) was drooling at the prospect of being able to buy it (it wasn't for sale).

Legend has had a gem Unc for sale for quite a few months with no takers.

The coin always comes weakly struck, so if you see one that isn't, throw the price book out the window..........
  • Options
    Ah you be right rich. Didn't even notice that, lol.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd estimate around 200 business strike pieces surviving for this date. Low end would be 150 pieces and high end 250 pieces. They are very tough to find in G-XF circ grades. Au's to UNC's are fairly available on the market. NO doubt the price and availiability of the business strikes is depressed by the existing proofs of which hundreds more remain, all in fairly nice condition compared to circ business strikes. This is one reason why I prefer mintmarked quarters or early Philly quarters.....no real availability of proofs to worry about and to delete the gene pool.

Most of the gem uncs surviving are of the flat strike variety and are therefore somewhat of a tougher sell. Be leery of any fully struck, proof-like pieces business strikes in the AU-MS65 range. Very likely that the coin is a more common proof.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file